Ch. 133

"M-Mama's probably safe in the village. Papa too. So, I'm not too worried about that." she beamed. "But a-atop of that, you have all the memories of the bad things that happened. Experiences I don't wish to live through again."

Morio turned to her, opening his mouth slightly. Without adding a word, it seemed as if he was waiting for an answer.

"I-" Genni flashed a pitiful smile. "No, it's selfish. I'm sorry."

"Huh?"

"Ingo was right. We're wasting time reminiscing about nothing." she shook her head.

Morio looked up at the ceiling again and then glanced back at Genni. "Now you're just going back on your own words because when it's convenient. Jyuzou told me that I keep doing that, and that's real selfish prick behaviour." Morio pointed with his finger. "But, Bancho said that kids can't be selfish because they don't know any better. I'm... way older now, but I think it still applies." he shrugged.

"No, I'm serious. Home or not, we need to get the hell out of this cart before it's too late."

"But you didn't want to bring that up earlier."

"I was already thinking about it."

"Me too." Morio sighed. "...and I don't have the faintest idea."

Genni sighed, pushing her hands against each other.

"How far away is your village? Do you think that someone could set out and find us?"

"Ah."

"If we can't do it ourselves."

"Far. They wouldn't save us either. I wouldn't want that to happen."

"Why?" Morio asked, tilting his head.

"It's selfish."

"Genni-"

"It's not about their well-being, Morio." Genni ground her teeth. "Although I'd like to think that it's that too." she turned to him, hesitating for a minute.

Morio's big, black eyes stared back at the green, almost shineless tinge of hers.

"I-I was born a boy, Morio," Genni stated.

Morio backed out a little, shocked. Things immediately went quiet, but the cart kept moving through the desert.

"I'm a girl now." she clasped her hands together, eyes drifting away from the other Morian. She scoffed, before sighing. "But my parents don't know."

"Y-You..." Morio gulped. "R-Really?"

"I only told Ingo. It took me a lot of courage to admit it. T-Then there was Jyuzou, who figured it out by himself." her eyes were half-closed. "But I know the others wouldn't get it. What I did with it too. It was selfish."

"Ah." Morio gasped. "Ah..." he shook his head. "Seriously?"

"I-Is that a bad thing?"

"No, of course not," Morio muttered. "I'm just pissed that Jyuzou outsped me."

Genni cracked a small smile. "It's not a competition, t-trust me..."

"Are Harans not accepting of such?"

"Not really. They say one thing but do the other." she focused her gaze on the small opening in the cloth.

"Well, that's... weird." Morio sat back down, looking up at the ceiling. "Morians don't care."

"Huh?"

"We have that one guy in Mistwick who used to be a girl when I was younger. But Mama explained that things changed and no one seemed to mind." Morio said. "Mistwick was made up of a lot of seemingly strange people in the world." he chuckled. "Jyuzou doesn't look like your typical Morian, and Bancho's there too, one of the Wise just quietly living in a small town that none talk about."