Ch. 37 | Race Towards a Brink

Katha raised her voice, standing up and moving out of a faraway bush. "Come on, give me a high-five!" she turned to Ronpi, carelessly dropping the Ancient Bow to the ground.

"One try." Ronpi steadily repeated, only peaking his head out.

"One is enough, just like I said!" Katha smiled. "We'll get the rest later, eventually!"

"Dad's words." Ronpi looked to the right, a bit puzzled. "Kill them on sight."

"Halfway there. One-third, actually. Either way, aren't you happy?"

"I am, but something else is bugging me." Ronpi blinked, finally stepping out. "What do I do with this?" he held the Knrhum's Blade in one hand, as its eye closed.

Katha tilted her head. "Finders keepers?" she fingergunned him.

"No." Ronpi scratched his head. "Stealing isn't my thing."

"Then, no worries, my brother!" she put her hand on his shoulder. "We'll find someone and leave it in their good care!"

"Okay." Ronpi smiled.

***

"I can't feel you anymore." Shi Hon uttered, his voice breaking into a soft but distorted rhythm. With one raised hand, his fingers felt his cold skin, his smile turning into a weary expression. His eyes were fixated on the wall in the front as if he could penetrate through and see the world from up here.

But of course, he could. If there was no fog present, the world was clear and as small as his pinky fingers. Countries were the size of fingernails, and people were practically non-existent. If there was air at such high points, humans could have used this opportunity to create a big enough land and fight the demon's reign, but of course, it was only his domain to claim.

Shi Hon chose not to see.

Furrowing his eyebrows, he stepped back, clearing his throat.

"Knrhum." Shi Hon raised his voice, looking up at the velvet ceiling. "Have you gotten lost on your journeys? Is the one carrying you too much of a burden to pretend? Or, did you finally run away?"

"Have you heard of the story of the living sword?" Leiru spoke, stepping into the chamber from behind, and Shi Hon straightened up, turning to face his sworn brother.

"Of course. It was told before the Second War, fella." Shi Hon uttered.

Leiru stepped around. "A sword that fought for itself, swang in the air as if it was carried by an invisible force."

"Turns out, the spirit resting inside was as strong to escape the grasp of its bearer." Shi Hon continued. "Long before Demonears existed too, people always tried to sacrifice others in the name of power. Their noses were too long to notice, they'd think that the dead don't have feelings, and aren't fighting for revenge."

"Although I think that might be a reach." Leiru nodded.

"You remember Knrhum." Shi Hon looked forward. "Striking fear into the hearts of many simply with a stare into their eyes. A black-like-soot creature of anger. Someone highly respected by the thousands of demons." he clenched his fist. "To prolong his life, he created a sword only one as strong as he could lift." he moved his hand up. "...and then buried his blood and soul within."

Leiru closed his eyes, breathing out.

"You were scared too. You thought he was going to kill you. Just like it killed her."

Leiru put his hand near his side, almost pushing his fingers into a long-forgotten scar. He frowned, then turned to Shi Hon's widened eyes, and his eyebrows were eventually raised. He breathed out, stepping around the chamber and towards the exit.