Ch. 47 | The Black Forest

"Huh?" Chyuuichi tilted his head. "Orania may just be around the corner!" he pointed. "Some people say that bad always sleep near good! By some people, I mean my dad once said that when he got into an argument with Mama, but-"

"This isn't about bad or good, Chyuuichi," Rowan spoke. "We're in the Black Forest."

"I'd say it's a bit more red, but okay," Chyuuichi added. "What is the Black Forest?"

"It comes from a cautionary story told to children. You've heard it before, right?" they turned to Atomu.

"Dad used to repeat it whenever I mentioned going into Orawood. The Black Forest itself served as an allegory where something bad always happened." he fixed his hair. "I d-didn't expect to ever find it in my lifetime."

"Aren't all humans scared of the unknown?" Rowan shook their head. "The further we go in, the bigger the chance that something will attack us."

"How do ya know? It's just a story! Besides, I haven't seen many demons peek their stupid heads out and that bear seemed more like a threat than those we encountered!"

"C-Come on, Chyuuichi," Atomu added. "We don't travel at night, and darkness only means that the sun isn't there to guide us."

"That's the jest of it. No one knows what happens in the Black Forest." Rowan folded their arms, taking a cautionary step towards the bushes. "Come on."

Chyuuichi sighed, turning to Atomu. "Ya'd go through, right?"

"What?" Atomu mouthed.

"Ya'd pursue if it wasn't for Rowan!" he raised his voice.

"I trust Atomu to make the right choice," Rowan added. "And you precisely know which-"

All of a sudden, a distant choir could be heard. The wind whistled again, interrupting it briefly, but the three turned in the direction of the noise.

Rowan scratched their lips.

Something in the distance made a coherent sound, divine in nature, and holy to some extent. Rowan's eyes shrank, and Atomu opened his mouth.

"I told y'all!" Chyuuichi said. "This must be Orania!"

...and with those words, the Mirillian ran off.

"Chyuuichi!" Atomu raised his voice.

Rowan leapt forward, and Atomu chased after them, leaving Bancho's body on the ground.

The Mirillian swiftly disappeared between the various trees, his silhouette barely visible through the mist at different times.

Atomu gulped, his eyes shrinking. Everything suddenly went quiet. The choir from before disappeared into nothingness, only for it to be swapped in for a baritone voice, singing out a song further to his left.

Atomu opened his mouth a little, blinking twice and turning. Rowan seemed entranced as well, although that didn't beat through anger. If they weren't fast enough for Chyuuichi, it already meant that whatever sung already caught him. They headed forward, pushing their sharp arrow through bushes and dry leaves before the two quickly appeared in... the same place.

Nothing seemed different, at least at first glance. The same dark oaks overtook the bedding. Rowan stared down, noticing through their blurry vision, they seemed to move, ever so slightly. They rubbed their eyes in disbelief, even taking their glasses off for a second.

Atomu turned to the right.

"Boo." A voice sounded, and the bark immediately formed an eyeless face inside its massive ring.