Ch. 109

Except for money, Gambino was also well-known for making nobody into someone special overnight. One could cite the story of Shuan Polo, who barely held his life together in a village, and came to the pyramid, winning a game on a whim simply for his luck, which he claimed came from a god's hand. He lives in a remote place nowadays, but he's also rumoured to be the reason why so many people believe in Pasto. After all, who wouldn't want the same thing to happen to them?

Other than that, there are jobs here that you won't see elsewhere, simply because one's greed can activate the biggest neurons in a brain. With money, you also gain unique experience and a story to tell. You could win and change your future, or simply return with another way to approach what exists. A lot of the more "modern" villages in Harabara stem from people who hadn't earned a penny but instead learned something new.

Ingo put his hands in his pockets, stepping off the yundul, as a few men led it towards the Ivehno. The golden lights only grew brighter the closer they were, and the pyramid's ever-present shine glistened in front of the three.

Lots and lots of people passed them, some having quiet conversations, while others were in massive groups, protesting against something for no apparent reason, and some tried desperately selling the thing they were scammed for, presumably from a scammer who also got scammed. Either way, the three didn't stand out, fortunately enough. Morio swore he could spot at least two Morians, thirteen Paladians and, strangely enough, some Tributals amongst the crowd.

Genni leaned against one of the brick walls and slid down, brushing sweat off her forehead.

"I always wanted to go to Gambino," she muttered, pushing her hands together.

Ingo turned, with one brow raised.

"Maybe... not because of what happened, but you know. Just to see the place." she shrugged.

Ingo shook his head. "We're not here for sightseeing, Genni."

"I know. Do you even have a strategy or anything along those lines?" she continued.

"I have a reason to gamble everything away. Our lives are on the line," he uttered.

"Gamble?" Morio turned.

"I-I'll tell you later." Genni sighed.

"We don't have much money in the first place." Morio shook his head. "This is a bad idea..."

"Then bless us." Ingo stood up. "What other thing do you have in store for us?" he furrowed his brows.

Morio put his hands together and stared down at the ground for a bit. Finally, he shook his head, with Ingo turning around and doing the same.

"You don't have to play. You can just go back to Windsdale since that's what you want to do. I don't care what happens to you, frankly."

"How can you even say any of that?" Genni whispered, in disbelief.

"Lava or hot water, Genni?" Ingo asked. "I'm just thinking ahead, since he's not to keen on doing all that."

Morio ground his teeth, clenching his fist. He straightened up, but only stared at Ingo for a bit.

The other Morian eyed him as well, before stuffing his hands back into his pockets, once more.

"Fine," Morio muttered. "Do whatever the hell you want."

"Ah." Genni blinked a couple of times. "Morio...?"

"He doesn't want me there, does he?" he asked, taking a few steps ahead, as the crowds that passed through loosened around. "I'll just wait here."