4| THE CONFRONTATION

Murtasim and meerab had been married for a few months now

Murtasim and meerab had been married for a few months now. Meerab went to karachi with rohail.

The aroma of the food she had lovingly prepared filled the air. The dishes kept untouched. Then a hand came and touched meerab's hand with a firm grip on it. And kept taking her, his urgengy palpable. But meerab and reached her breaking point.

She withdrew her hand, she couldn't bear his assumptions and accusations regarding rohail matter and her going with him to karachi.

His eyes blazed with anger, and in that moment he resembled the man she didn't wanted to marry. His eyes screaming possessiveness and control. Her baba as well told her that Murtasim khan was different. But she couldn't differentiate the murtasim with whom she was right now or the murtasim she met at the beginning.

To her they differed, the murtasim she had seen in the few months of living with him. She knew this was not the man who loved her immensely, started having feelings for her, who cared for with unwavering devotion. The one who shielded her with world's harshness. This man was no where near the man she knew. This was the man who doubted her, who refused to listen to her side of the story.

Her own anger flared, these months and her dealing with her own conflicting emotions and her bewildered connection with the man standing infront of her.

Suddenly, she remembered the incident where murtasim was shot. His pain pierced her heart with thousand needles.The memory of that fateful night was gut-wrenching. Her being in his arms while he was shot and unconscious lumped in her arms, A gun in hand.

The only thing going on her mind on that time was him. But he presumed the worst of her. He questioned her, Did you think of rohail dying? He had thought the worst of her even in that moment as her heart and her whole being scremed and prayed for his well being and health.

They all believed it. They all assumed the worst of her. Whether it was her own birth father, or her adopted one.

He would have left her alone but he stood by her side. Even when everyone seemed to be against her. They all believed rohail was something more than a friend.

Murtasim even asked her to jump from terrace to believe her she didn't went to meet rohail and was not willed to believe that she went to meet Saba, her friend.

Murtasim: " Kudo yaha se? "

Meerab looked at him astonished.

Murtasim: " Kya hua? Kudo yaha se main Maan lunga tum rohail se nahi Milne gayi thi. "

Meerab : " Pata hai wada karne se kayi aasab kya hota hai. Marna kyunki marne ke baad har wada, har Kasam khatam ho jati hai. Agar yaha se Mera kudna ye saahit kar de ki main begunha hu. To tikh hai."

Murtasim breath hitched. When he saw her standing at edge of the terrace foot.

Murtasim : " Toh wada karo rohail se kabhi nahi milogi."

Meerab: " Tum bhi wada karo ki haya se kabhi nahi miloge. Uske aas pass bhi nahi jaoge."

Murtasim: " Haya meri behno jaisi hai. She's my cousin."

Meerab : " Par woh Aisa manti murtasim. Tumne mujhe rohail ke flat me kya dekha tumne mujhe meri begunahi sabit karne ke liye yaha terrace pe karha kar diya. Tum karo toh tikh hai aur agr main apne friend se milu toh tumhe takleef hai. Ye kaise double standards hai tumhare??"
She shouted her lungs our on him. Her finger jabbed at his chest over the turtleneck and blazer he wore.

Her voice burned with anger at the hypocrisy. " Haya obsesses over you. Not a week has passed without her attempting to sabotage me in one way or another. I've walked in on her touching you or you touching her more times than I can count. I've caught her sitting on our bed. And you claim her to be your cousin. She openly confesses her love for you. You claim she's your cousin, but if she makes your wife uncomfortable isn't itnyour responsibility to kick her out of the room or atleast tell her to stay within her boundaries. If it wasn't for maa begum, you wouldn't even would have send her to Goan. What if I was actually pregnant murtasim? Answer me."

Murtasim: " Meerab -"

She shook her head, her tears still flowing down her cheeks.
" It's not my house. I don't have a house. " She whispered, her voice filled with deep ache.

" Meerab.."

" It's your wife's house, your future child's house. You asked me on the first night right why do I have a property on my own name. After my parents abandonment, i decided to have my own property on my own name."

" Meerab "

" Do you even have slighest idea how I felt being abandoned by my parents, then when your maa begum assumed that I'm pregnant. You know why I didn't tell the truth rightaway. Because I felt joyous after so long. The love everyone was showering on me. It felt so nice. That I didn't wanted to lose it for a while. She showered me with love you know. She cooked my favourite food. My own father who abandoned me, started showering his grandchild with unconditional love for him/her. The moment I was supposedly carrying a child, the future heir. That's my worth here, murtasim. I'm just your wife, your future child bearer. Your mother who disliked me started showing love. And everything felt nice and maybe that's why I ... Maybe that's why I didn't want to tell them the truth because that it was my reality , just for a second."

Her voice cracked, and her tears streamed down her face, mirroring the pain in her heart. She struggled to express the depth of her anguish. " But the truth has come out some time right, and now- they all re back to normal." She sobbed. " I have no where to go that's not this prison."
She cried.

" That's why I went to karachi, to find a moment of reprieve, to remind myself that I my own person. I belong to myself, to convince myself she exists. But even that.."

Her words hung in the air, heavy with the weight of patriarchy and suffocation.

" If you accept me - " Murtasim began, his voice filled with frustration.

" You still don't get it." Meerab interrupted, her voice trembling with emotion. " How am I supposed to accept anyone, Murtasim? All I have ever known is everyone leaves. To even stand and be in this house I had to marry you. Your love is conditional, you'll love me as long as I stay trapped in this cage, within certain boundaries. Any moment if I dare to cross that line, you'll leave me."

Murtasim found himself immersed in a world of longing and confusion after the rooftop confrontation with meerab.

Here's the chapter 4 of the book. Do tell me how is it. I skipped some parts. But I really wanted to write their rooftop conversation. They had so much to talk about. They should have communicate about it. Her insecurities taking toll on her even after being independent. She felt like crushing herself. In the norms of society. Her being questioned every now and then.

Also follow my insta account. It's id is Melbourne778 _

 It's id is Melbourne778 _