Chapter 41- Not Good At Goodbyes

"Only women and children are allowed! Hurry up men, get them on the boats!" Officer Murdoch's voice cried out

Everyone was gathered near the railing to get on the lifeboats. It was the most heartbreaking scenario to witness when husbands said goodbyes to their wives and children. Small juveniles were crying because of the detachment from their fathers.

"Dad! Dad!" a small girl cried out loud. 

She was clinging to her dad who was not allowed to get in a boat because it took only women and children.  But in her world, only her loving father remained, she couldn't possibly leave him.

"Grace, my baby girl, listen to me," the man was welling up. Warm tears rolled down his cold cheeks.

He was reluctant to let go of his only treasure in this world. He knew it was going to be hard for her to survive this cruel world on her own. She was only ten, she hadn't even started experiencing real life yet. Little Grace was growing under her father's wings.

And she had to let go of him, that's what fate brought them at the end of the journey. 

Divergence.

"No Dad, I'm not leaving you!" she blurted.

One of the officers lifted her, snatching her away from her father's embrace. She cried out loud.

"No! Dad don't leave me...Please!" she struggled in the officer's strong grasp, but it was a futile attempt. He lifted her like a ceramic doll and placed her among the women for protection on the boat.

Her father stared at her from the deck.

His face clenched with agony, the sorrow he couldn't console. As a father, he failed to be with her, but that was the only chance of keeping her alive.

Letting her go was the only chance.

"I'm sorry my dear Grace, I'm sorry Dad couldn't be with you..." he kneeled near the railing,  gripping the metal bar with his palm.

The boat started lowering down slowly. Little Grace's wailing continued but he pretended that he didn't hear it. He hid his head on his arm and started sobbing.

"I'm so sorry my baby..."

It was a goodbye, forever.

The environment was filled with cries and sighs, sobs and farewells. I stood in the middle of the crowd watching them with an aching heart. My heart was throbbing with sadness. I felt that I was in a daze, without being able to think or act in my right mind.

Goodbyes were always bitter, I'm not good at bidding farewells.

"Y/n, here..." Jungkook called me.

He had gone to find a lifeboat to get us out of this tragic event. The ship was starting to lean vertically.  We had to climb up the deck. Most of the boats were launched by that moment. Only a very few were remaining.