34. Gjenfødt

Reborn

It has been two hours since the Saxon army left to attack York. Prince Aethelwulf -no, King Aethelwulf took every man available at camp into battle with him. Left behind, only remained a few soldiers to guard the Queen and Prince Aethelred. He wanted to go with his father and sibling, but he stayed as the next in line for the throne, in case something were to happen to the current King during battle. It is kind of a foolish notion since everyone knew the crown was most likely Alfred's, though the King insists on naming his first, and rightful son, as heir. So now only the women -mostly- remain at the Saxon camp. What is worse, we were asked to stay in the main tent together while we waited for the others to arrive. The soldiers insisted it was safer to take care of us that way. Now I am not only entirely in vigilance, but also constantly looking at Judith and Elsewith.

"Are you alright?" Aethelred inquires tenderly, gazing me over with furrowed brows.

No, I am not good. "Just a little stressed with everything going on."

Aethelred nods sympathetically and takes a seat beside me on the bench. His mother looks our way where she is next to Elsewith a few feet away. "I see, Alfred told me that he confided in you on the plan to starve the Vikings."

"He did," I respond to Aethelred. "Was it his plan?"

"No," he denies instantly, "but does it matter whose plan was it if he approved? If we all did." He places a brotherly hand on top of my fidgeting ones. "I am sorry, Leofflaed, a few days ago there were sightings of smoke, they probably burned their dead."

Aethelred does not say it, and neither do I, but we both know that the chances for a newborn baby and a recently pregnant woman to survive starvation are slim. I take his warm hand in mine with a heavy heart. Is it possible that Egadyd and Wulfrun are truly dead?

"For what it is worth," he continues, "Alfred did miss you when he thought you were dead."

I do not doubt his words for one second, but I also know life is more complicated than that. If love and affection were all that I needed from Alfred in my life, I would have remained his mistress. Perhaps the whispers I hear from some of the ladies that remain in camp are true, and I am too greedy for things I do not have the right to. Whatever the case, it does little to me Aethelred's reassurance that Alfred still loves me.

Before he left, Alfred came to me with a smile on his face and the promise that he would be back in one piece. I told him to be careful, and I meant it. Despite it all, Alfred dying was not something I ever wished to hear of. Perhaps my words were misinterpreted, or maybe I was too soft when I spoke them because he tried to kiss me then. A nasty part of me contemplated allowing him to do it, but I wisely stepped back in time. I could see my rejection hurt him. Later, as the Saxon army was mounting their horses, I saw in the distance Princess Elsewith approach him. They whispered to one another before Alfred placed a brief kiss on the Princess's mouth. She seemed surprised, and I knew then that he did that to hurt me. I appreciate that Aethelred is trying to make me feel better, but his words do nothing to make me think of forgiving Alfred for all of his wrongdoings. The Prince and I speak briefly for a few minutes before he moves to sit next to his mother. The Queen throws me a nasty glance once more before placing her attention on her son.

I consider slipping away and trying a lucky escape out of the Saxon camp and into the woods. Perhaps with fewer witnesses, I would have done so. Some soldiers are lingering around, and Alfred surely gave them the order not to let me go. Furthermore, with Aethelred nearby, it will not be easy either. I am still considering various possibilities when a strong noise comes from afar. It is just some simple shouts and crashes. It is not until the soldiers begin to run in that direction that I understand something is happening. At first, I believe the Saxon army is back. However, it is too soon, it has been like an hour since they left. The remaining royalty and nobles arrive at the same conclusion that I do. As if burnt by our seats, we all stand up and look towards the noise. It does not take long for us to be able to see something.