32. Fiendens linjer

Enemy Lines

I sit quietly in the main tent, the drapes are open, so I can see just when the soldiers begin arriving at camp. The chair digs uncomfortably into my thighs, and I feel the need to stand up and pace. I refrain from doing so. The Saxon warriors who brought me here keep glancing my way now and then. They do not speak, just stare and guard. I am sure they are tasked to stop me if I am to run away. They did so when I attempted to lose them back in the woods. How Alfred knew I was alive, I am unsure. The only thing I know is that I am to wait for him to return from battle, once again his unruly mistress. I am unlucky, or perhaps God listened when I asked to see Alfred one more time. Now, I do not know if it is a good idea.

This is not what I meant when I expressed my desire for closure. Just seeing him in the distance would have been fine. The last thing I need is to be at his mercy once more. Saxons and Vikings alike have treated me as a prisoner, but at least one jail is freer than the other. I need to go back to Ivar. No, I want to go back to Ivar. I should have never trusted the word of that silver-tongued slave. King Ecberth's teachings have helped me tremendously, but he was right when he said practice is vastly different from theory.

It is impossible not to notice when the royals arrive. There is a ruckus at the entrance where everyone gathers. A large portion of the lingering soldiers instantly go that way. And if that was not enough, Princess- no, Queen Judith exits her tent for the first time. I knew the woman was here, and she most likely was aware of my presence too. Yet she refused to even acknowledge me. No matter, I have bigger things to care for. Like the approaching Saxons or the fact that Alfred just noticed me.

"Leofflaed!" The smile on his face is the brightest I have seen, so contagious I can avoid reciprocating. He was my friend before he was my lover. Once in front of me, Alfred hugs me. The embrace is not uncommon for us, but it is in front of an audience. At least for him. Alfred had always been one to stick to rules, especially those of propriety. Behind him, I can see his mother scowling, and I smirk at her. "I thought you were dead."

Alfred finally steps away. "How did you find me?" I ask.

But Alfred is too engrossed in looking at me that it is his brother who responds. "Bishop Heahmund's scouts saw they were keeping you alive. Then these brave soldiers offer to keep an eye out for you." Aethelred signals to my captors. It is clear to everyone that the men did not do it out of the goddess of their hearts.

With a bow of my head, I address the Bishop and soldiers. "I thank you for your bravery." Bishop Heahmund accepts the gratitude modestly, but the warriors look at one another, confused. Surely they remember when I tried to escape them. Yet, I can not throw a fit at Alfred about my situation, not in front of everybody.

"Was the battle won?" It is not me who speaks, though I am curious as well about the answer to Judith's question.

King Aethelwulf looks away from his wife with an expression I can only describe as shame and anger. The Vikings are victorious. Out of everyone gathered, it is probably only me who finds the outcome somewhat pleasant. It is not as if I wish death upon the Saxons, but mostly I am moved by my selfish desires.

"It is not over," the King utters but does not add anything else as he walks away.

As if commanded by an unsaid order, everyone goes their own way, and soon enough it is just me and Alfred. Almost. Not so far away, Princess Elsewith awaits with clear intentions of approaching her husband. I can see that she is not happy to see me, probably as strongly as Queen Judith. There is an ugly grimace etched on her face and I want to laugh. Before any of that happens, Alfred takes me by the hand and guides me away from prying ears. This time, the guards do not even attempt to follow us. The soldiers that we pass by do glance our way, I wonder if it is because I am the mistress, or because of my Viking-like attire. Alfred does not stop until we are at a closed tent that I can only assume is his.

The Mistress (Vikings)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें