22. ​​Brygger storm

Brewing Storm

It did not take long for prince Ivar and his brother to come back. I am not sure where they went besides Ubbe's comment about them going to scout. I could only guess it had something to do with their plans of revenge. From what I could gather of the talks of the encampment, King Aelle had already been killed in previous days by the Viking army. I could also hear them talk about their next plans to defeat King Ecbert. Apparently, everyone within their army was aware of the basic steps to follow in their revenge. I have yet not decided who is the main leader, I am hoping to be present at the meeting with all the Ragnarssons, hopefully, it will tell me more about the insights of these people. Nevertheless, as far as I can see, there is not one leader, but a collective of several. One thing that is certain is that I am glad people think I am dense enough not to understand Norse. I have not been able to spend time with the rest of the people so far, but I can hear the whispers through the thin walls of the tent.

Without warning, the flaps open and on the other side is Prince Hvitserk. He does not come in. "Ivar and Bjorn have arrived, we will have a meeting right now." I attempt to approach him, so I can go with him, but he stops me. "You are to remain here with your sister, there is going to be a guard outside." Before I can say anything else, he leaves.

I understand that this is something that they have to discuss in privacy, but it bothers me not to be able to do anything else to secure our lives. It occurs to me that perhaps the guard outside is not only there to protect us, but also to prevent us from escaping. They have not actually left us alone ever since we got here.

"Leofflaed," Egadyd calls my attention. "What is happening?"

"They are going to talk about our agreement."

"Talk? I thought you had already reached an understanding with Prince Ivar."

I do not want to worry my sister, but the last thing I need right now is to lie to her. "Yes, but he is not the leader, and all of them need to talk about it." I can see the worry return to my sister's eyes. "It is ok, they will not harm us." I am not completely certain of my own words, but what I do know is that, for some reason, Ivar will not harm me so easily.

Time tickles by and for a moment, my mind wanders back to Alfred for the first time since being captured. Right now, he probably still does not know about the situation I am in. It is only a matter of time, though, before the Saxon army hears about it. The town where Egadyd lives is fairly close to the Kings' villa. I do wonder what will happen when he finds out that I am now in Viking hands. Will he come for me? Will he save me from the enemy's army? Or will he think that I am already dead? And if so, will he mourn me?

Those same thoughts bring back my desire to escape Alfred. He did not let me run away from him when I went to the nunnery, but now that I am away from him, is this what I wanted? I am not anymore in the hands of the court and miserable, sharing Alfred with Elsewith, but I am in the enemy's hold with the impossibility of knowing if I am going to live. Is this freedom or another prison?

Hviserk returns later than expected, the sun is about to set by the time he stops by our tent again. He is wearing an easy smile on his face, though, I can see something troubling in his eyes. His greeting words are directed at me, "come with me, it is time you meet everyone else." At first, I am not sure if Prince Ivar has told him about my current condition. It is until I approach him, that I notice his eyes going softly to my belly. My pregnancy should be in the early stages, and therefore imperceptible. However, there is clear concentration on Hvitserk's face, as if he is trying to look through me to the baby.

"Leofflaed?" Egadyd asks hesitantly when she notices my departure.

I look at her with as much reassurance as I can, "I will be back, stay here."