Chapter 32: The Enemy Within

We start where we left off

We start where we left off. The Throne Room, a few minutes after sharing drinks around the table. It was peaceful, with only a few cackles and words of triumph from The Count. Now, it seems like everyone is high on blood and running around the furniture like maniacs. Asan on Malik's shoulders chasing Renfield. The Count throwing papers up into the air and sipping from his goblet.

"Ah, my family!" He cheers. "My blood! What a night for the Draculas!" Indeed.

"Those shadow warriors went down!" Asan grins, remembering his bravery.

"Yes, they did! Now, I want to hear all your wonderful stories of Dracula heroism!"

"You mean like how I defeated one of the enemies singlehanded," Malik asks and motions to me with a wave of his hand. "And saved Kallie's life?"

"Yes, yes, yes, I want to hear them all. Renfield! Prepare some party snacks. It's not everyday we get to celebrate such a victory."

"Crunchy bug burgers," Renfield says, unenthusiastically. "Coming right up." He walks away to get them fixed. To be perfectly honest, those sound pretty tasty. Although we are all, even myself, happy for a few moments, Vlad still has troubling thoughts.

"Dad," He says, hands on the table and with a serious look on his face. "It's good news and everything, but don't you think you're getting a little bit carried away?"

"Oh, here he goes." Ingrid sighs. "Vlad the Fun Sponge."

"Sally and George are really shaken up." That explains their departure. "We may have won for the moment, but Ramanga is still out there waiting for his chance to destroy us all." Well, he's right. The Shadow Warriors may be gone but their leader isn't. I shouldn't let my guard down.

"Vlad's correct." I say, placing my cup on the table and standing up from the couch. "He could arrive at our weakest moment. When we least expect it."

"Oh, great." Ingrid rolls her eyes. "Now we have two party poopers." Oh, please.

"No." Malik speaks up with his arms folded. "Kara's right, we need to keep our eyes peeled." There he goes again! Before, he would never have agreed with me. Why is he doing it now? Why must he butter me up? I made it obvious that I loved Vlad. Why is he still trying to get with me?

"Oh, come on, you three." The Count groans. "If we can destroy the Shadow Warriors, we can destroy anything or anyone!" He then refills Malik's cup. Perhaps he's right. But that doesn't stop us from gaining a few battle scars. "Vladimir," He makes his way over to his son. "Vladdy, Vladdy, Vladdy," And placing a hand on the back of his head, forcing it onto his shoulder. "When there's a reason to celebrate," He shoves the blood bottle into his chest. "A Dracula celebrates."

"Yes, well," Vlad says, starting his sentence with fake eagerness, wrangling out of his father's grip and shoving the bottle back to him. "I'll leave you to it. I'm gonna find Sally and George." As he passes me, "Coming?" I nod in reply and walk by his side, all the way down to wherever his breather family might be, leaving his vampire family behind.