Chapter 26: Kiss of Death

"Poison

"Poison... P-P-Poison..." said The Count, muttering continuously as me and Vlad carefully take him up to his chambers with Renfield pacing just behind us. Me and Vlad kicked the door in place, planning to put The Count in his coffin.

"Keep a lookout!" said Vlad, yelling at us. "The shapeshifter could be anywhere."

"Do you think she'll come back after us?" said Renfield, so anxiously.

"No, she's after our family." said Vlad, answering him. So, she's after us. "Get his legs." Renfield picks up both of his legs.

"No, no, no, no!" said The Count, kicking furiously to get him off. "If I go in there, I will never come out. Put me down, put me down!" I suppose we could put him down. We gently lay him down on the floor with his upper body leaning against his coffin. He grabs Renfield's collar, fiddling with it. "How long have I got?"

"It's a slow acting poison." said Renfield, explaining it to him. That can be a good thing.

"You've got about six hours tops. First, you get muscle paralysis, then your hands go black, then you start hallucinating as the poison kicks in and the pain, oh, it's excruciating as you burn up from the inside before exploding into a massive fireball." That's very wrong. "Forget I said that." Oh, that sounds horrible. We need an antidote as soon as possible!

"Killed with a kiss." said The Count, chuckling at his fate. "What a pathetic way to die."

"Shush." said Vlad, placing a finger on his lips. What's wrong? But before I could ask him, I heard footsteps right outside the door. "Someone's coming." Vlad whooshes behind the door. Renfield runs to hide behind a chair while The Count tries to squeeze himself underneath his bed. I turned invisible behind the coffin after throwing a stake to Vlad.

"Who— Who is it?" said The Count.

"Ingrid." said Ingrid, answering him. "Dad, are you okay? Can I come in?" Ingrid would never ask that.

"Since when did Ingrid ever ask if you were okay?" said Vlad.

"Shapeshifter!" said Renfield.

"Run, run, it's your only chance." said The Count, pushing himself deeper into the cramped spot. We can't do that. If it really is Elizabeta, we are finishing her right now. "Enter!" Ingrid walks right in the room, leaving the door wide open and she is unable to see Vlad.

"You idiot." said Ingrid, folding her arms. "You should've known the real McCauley would never kiss you. You're a disgusting, pale, skinny antique." So, that's the real Ingrid. I turned back visible.

"Yeah, that's Ingrid." said Vlad, putting the stake down as me and Renfield came out of our hiding places.

"Your track record of picking girlfriends is appealing."

"Well, what can I say?" said The Count, groaning halfway through his sentence as we hoisted him up against his coffin. "Love is blind."

"Oh, that reminds me!" said Renfield, so anxiously. "After you hallucinate, but before you explode, you go blind." We all looked devastated. "Forget I said that."