Chapter 21: Loyalty's for Breathers

This evening is truly a beautiful one

This evening is truly a beautiful one. The stars are glimmering. The moon is full. The air is calm and quiet. Everything was peaceful until Malik revved up his motorcycle. We are in the school's courtyard and I was on my own, reading The Outsiders. Then, Malik drove up to where I was. He looked pretty pleased to see me. I sent him a little wave and continued to read my book. It was impossible with him driving around in circles, trying to impress me.

"Oi!" said Renfield, so furiously. He marches up to Malik, who stops the vehicle and stands in front of him. This should go well. "You better get that noisy, wheelie bucket out of my courtyard."

"Oh, yeah?" said Malik, revving up the engine. What's he gonna do?

"Don't, Mister—" said Renfield, trying to warn him. Malik doesn't listen and begins to drive. Renfield whimpers and tries to run away, but he is continuously chased around the courtyard. I know I should be helping him, but it is hilarious. The way Renfield flails his arms and legs as he runs is nearly hysterical. Upon hearing my laugh, Malik looks over at me and smiles in content that he managed to impress me.

"Stop!" Oh, it's Vlad. He walks out from the building and up to Malik, who doesn't listen to what he's saying, with The Count behind him.

"He means, go faster." said The Count, enjoying the entertainment as me.

"No, I mean, stop!" said Vlad, putting up his palm just as Malik heads towards him. Luckily, he stops the engine before he can run him over. Vlad is obviously irritated while The Count just chuckles.

"What do you think of your new sibling, Vladdie?" said The Count, grinning at him. "A fine specimen. I'm sure you'd agree."

"Is it true?" said Vlad, asking him.

"Yes." said Malik. "Brother." He extends his hand for him to shake, but Vlad looks at his hand, blinks, and walks away. Malik is clearly disappointed at this, but The Count would care less. He walks back inside the school, letting out a laugh with Renfield following him.

"He doesn't accept me." said Malik, so sadly.

"It'll take him a while." I said, cheering him up. "He just wants to know your true intentions."

"My intentions are to have a family."

"I know that, but even if he never accepts you, it doesn't matter. You have me, The Count, and Ingrid."

"Ingrid?" said Malik, laughing so loudly.

"You two are a lot alike. You both like creating trouble. You're both bad to the bone." He becomes vulnerable.

"Is that who you think I am?" said Malik, so quietly. I really didn't mean it to him.

"I think you're a good person." I said, so truthfully. "You helped us with Ramanga. I know we can rely on you." He starts being a loving person. I thought Vlad loved me, but maybe it wasn't meant to be between us.