Chapter 28: Who's the Daddy

"Help me!" Vlad cries out in pain, wrapping his arms around his stomach, constantly tumbling around in his coffin and sweating more and more each time as I wipe his forehead

"Help me!" Vlad cries out in pain, wrapping his arms around his stomach, constantly tumbling around in his coffin and sweating more and more each time as I wipe his forehead. He hasn't gotten better in the last few hours. If anything, he's gotten much worse.

"His fever's growing." said The Count, taking his freshly bitten fingernails away from his mouth and is unable to look at the state that Vlad is in. "This is the most uncommon common cold." He finally turns around and becomes even more frightened, unleashing that fear on Renfield. "Find something to help him!" Renfield becomes so startled, so he moves back a few steps and bangs his head on the mucus covered wall. In fact, this whole room has been covered in it.

"But I've tried everything, Master!" said Renfield. "Tincher of mandrake, pieces of monkshood and toadflax, infusions of dwarf earth and periwinkle..."

"Same old, same old!" His voice lowers as he points a finger at Renfield. "If anyone discovers he has a cold, they'll put two and two together and they'll realize he's half human. You need to make him better before that happens."

"But it's impossible. Humans haven't found the cure for the common cold and they've been trying for thousands of years..."

"One hour! You have one hour!" And before any sort of protest can be brought up, he leaves and Renfield is free to complain.

Great!

Boom!

And as if things weren't already confusing, a loud sound suddenly rings throughout the house and causes the room to shake violently, whenever Vlad sneezes. The motions make me go from leaning on Vlad's coffin to falling back against the wall while The Count simply falls on his feet and lands in the sofa chair. How come he gets a safer landing?

"What happened?" I said, asking him, but he doesn't have any idea either. Just at that moment, the door flings open and reveals an angry looking Ingrid.

"Why is Renfield trying to blow us all up?" said Ingrid, who was in direct view of Vlad. Oh, she can't see this! I quickly get up on my feet and slam the coffin shut before whooshing over to stand right in front of it, preventing Ingrid from seeing him. Well, now I think about it, that act didn't seem suspicious at all! She's going to be even more skeptical now! "How's Vlad?" She makes her way over to me.

"He's fine, fine, fine." said The Count, trying to sound casual.

"He's just having a nap." I said, with a fake smile plastered on my face.

"Really?" She doesn't look too convinced. "So what's with your twenty four vigil, then?" And only does she notice the mucus hanging on the walls. "And how does this room look like the inside of a weasel's nose?" Um... I can't think of anything. I shoot a panicked look to The Count, who luckily has an idea.

"The room..." He pauses. "The room is coming out in sympathy for Vlad's temporary indisposition." As he talks, Ingrid swipes her index finger along the thick liquid.