Chapter 31: Warning Shadows

Happy birthday to me

So, this is it. This is the day when I celebrate turning eighteen. The day I've been preparing for my entire life. It's only been three hours since midnight hit and everyone in the building startled me with balloons, cake, and party poppers in the Throne Room. Sally and George made me an actual wooden necklace. Ingrid gave me a skirt. Renfield gave me a jar of something, which caused me to make it disappear. Vlad gave me a lovely leather satchel for our travels once our exams are over and The Count gave me a lecture on why turning eighteen is very important. My family gave me lots of jewelry and makeup. They also gave me pictures of Taylor. She was just so cute and adorable. After that, we decided to play party games. So that's what we're up to now. We're playing a game called Murder in the Dark. The lights are all off. Sally and George are searching the Blood Bar for the fearsome Count Dracula with their water pistols. But, of course, when they find the hissing fiend and spray him with just a few little squirts, he becomes crass and the lights turn on again.

"Now, stop it. That's not fair. Water pistols are against the rules." He sounds like a four year old having a tantrum.

"Well, then stop flashing your gnashers." Thank goodness. "You're only trying to scare us again." Sally jokingly scolds him.

"I got carried away in the dark. It's my animal instinct." He then goes back to snarling at George, who does the exact same thing she did before, much to his dismay.

"When you said murder in the dark," Ingrid speaks to me from the counter. "I was hoping for a real corpse or two, not this degrading spectacle."

"Well, it's my birthday, so I have to decide." I said to her. "When it's your birthday, you..." Forget that. "Never mind. Plus, it's fun. And it brings the family closer together." I give the Giles family a smile which they return to me.

"In case you've forgotten, they are not my family." George decides to retaliate by pointing the water pistol at Ingrid. "Try it, kid and I'll introduce you to my game room. The Torture Chamber." It's so threatening!

"I always wanted a big sister till I met you." said the young girl. Feisty kid. The Count also shows his amusement by chuckling and tossing a ping pong ball around the room.

Knock, knock, knock.

Oh, great, that'll be... actually, I have no idea as to who that could be. Especially at this time of night.

"We're not expecting anyone, are we?" I ask around. But everyone responds with the same confusion. The sound then came again but it was much louder and faster. That's when we all decide to go and check it out.

"Remember to stick to the story." Vlad says to his mother and sister. "You're my tutor helping me with my studies." Afterwards, he quickly ran out of the room.

"And we are definitely not related." Sally adds to the sentence in order for George to gain more clarity before running out here with me following her. But due to speed traveling, The Count (who forces Renfield to go with him), Ingrid, Vlad, and I get there before they do. Now, we're all staring at the door in anticipation as yet another knock rings throughout the building. Who can that be? The VHC? Have they somehow found out our secret? Did Ingrid find a way to tell them?!