Chapter 30: Once Bitten, Twice Shy

I told him

I told him. I told Vlad that this would happen. Sally would find out that, not only is he her son but that he is a vampire, who, in her mind, sucks the life force out of human beings such as her. This is the reason why she's barricaded herself in the store room under the stairs. Unfortunately, as well as the Giles, Ingrid has also found out the truth.

"You had a baby with a breather?" She asks her father with a look of disgust on her face.

"Well, youthful folly!" The Count tried to defend himself. "I was only 500 and... something." He was practically a newborn!

"This can't be happening!" Ingrid exclaims, pacing around the room.

"How do you think I felt?" Vlad says, standing near the door, trying to comfort his mother through the wood.

"Sorry, I don't talk to mongrels!"

"He's still your brother!" I tell her while crossing my arms. "Also, you said you gave biting breathers up, what was that? A relapse?" She doesn't answer. She just angrily turns away from me.

"Sally, please," My husband begs for the 50th time. "Just open the door!"

"Go away!" We hear her shout. "Or I'll call the... I'll call the... No, I'll call the... Oh, don't Pest Control deal with this?!" Hmm. That slightly reminds Vlad of when Eric Van Helsing disguised himself as someone who worked in the pest control business. He was a strange man but I miss Jonno.

"No one's going to hurt you. Just let me explain." There's a moment of silence before Sally does what he pleads but only opens it slightly so that half of her body is kept in the back room. "I really am your son."

"But... but you're a vampire." She continues to be in disbelief and looks at The Count with anger. "And you... You told me you were Salem Smith."

"Salem Smith?" I said, questioning it out loud.

"Whitby Goth Festival, 1995."

"Oh, come on!" He exclaims, looking at us. "Everyone fibs a bit on the first date!"

"So... you knew I was having a baby. And you adopted him without telling me?" said Sally, so sadly. Gosh, I feel so bad for her.

"It was better for everyone this way. I did it as a favor."

"A favor?!" She exclaims, fully stepping out of the room and slamming the door. But Vlad quickly defuses the situation.

"Can you give us five minutes, please?!" He orders his dad. But when The Count becomes surprised at the act and doesn't move a muscle, I take action.