Chapter 29: Flesh and Blood

The rustling of The Count's newspaper

The filing of Ingrid's nails.

The steam of Renfield's iron.

All sounds are currently distracting me from my reading. But while they're driving me mad, Vlad is standing near and staring out of the window, possibly thinking about Sally Giles. I know he would think about it, but I just hope he isn't thinking up any extravagant plans to get her to come here. I know I wouldn't do that at all.

"It says here," The Count addresses all of us, referring to his now folded up newspapers. "A family in the old country has turned their house into a vampire themed hotel." Wow! Good for them. "It's the perfect scam. They get an endless supply of breathers and the corpses never complain. Thank you very much." He shakes his head and goes back to reading until he gets a look on his face that I can only describe as a lightbulb. "Wait a minute." said The Count, standing up from the throne, putting his newspaper down and pacing just behind my seat. "We could do that here. No, no, no," He tries to interrupt anyone who had any thought of saying something. "We could turn the empty classrooms into bedrooms. Each with their en suite." I suppose that sounds like a good plan. I have no idea why he would want to go through with it, though. We're supposed to be in hiding. Well, maybe due to Vlad's strength, we don't have to, anymore?

"Oh, could I book into the honeymoon suite?" said Renfield, so eagerly. "I could wear something old, something new, something borrowed and, oh, something blue like the veins on my neck!" He then grabs Ingrid's blue dress from his pole and presses it against his body. "Oh, bitey, bitey, bitey." I have no idea what just happened. And I don't think everyone else does. But The Count tries to ignore it.

"You'll be doing reception," said The Count, telling Renfield who is now disappointed that he isn't being listened to by The Count. "And room service and laundry. Basically, you'll be doing everything. But you," He pats me on the head as he walks by. "Will be doing the bookings." Well, I knew I'd be given a job, one way or the other.

"All those," said Vlad, finally saying for the first time in a while. "In favor of getting caught running an illegal breather biting hotel and turning to dust, raise your right hand!"

"Keeping this empty barn running is draining me dry." said The Count, sitting back down after picking his newspaper back up. "It's only fair that I should do the same to others."

"Don't worry, Dad," said Ingrid. "When I'm head of the Vampire High Council, that'll be the first law that I change. Also, I'll have you know that tonight I'll be attending the council networking weekend. The first woman ever to be invited." This is really a step in the right direction. Today, a networking weekend, tomorrow, perhaps the whole committee.

"Congratulations." I say to her with a proud smile. Just at that moment, the four of us hear a clunking sound. And upon looking around, I see Renfield staring down at the dress he's ironing in a puzzled state. He then goes in the pocket and pulls out a memory stick.