Chapter 15: Revamped

On the same night, Bertrand and Vlad race after Malik and Ryan, going around buildings and alleyways under the night sky

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

On the same night, Bertrand and Vlad race after Malik and Ryan, going around buildings and alleyways under the night sky. They placed all of the vampires in solitary confinement. They stop running when they reach a lamppost.

"I've lost their scent." said Bertrand, talking to him. "Which way?" Vlad has a vision of them. Ryan stops running, so he rests his hand on the lamppost. Malik takes his hand off the lamppost and shoves him in the back, forcing him to continue running.

"This way." said Vlad, pointing the way as they ran towards an underground den with a bright orange light, brightening the walls near the entrance. Before Vlad can enter the den, Bertrand stops him.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" said Bertrand, asking him. "Could be dangerous. Vampires down here don't play by the rules."

"They will, when I'm finished with them." said Vlad, answering him.

They walk inside the den and see the street fangs, so weak with hunger. Large white drapes, strings of ropes, capes, and smashed boxes are hanging from the ceiling. Some coffins were burnt, so they leaned against moldy walls. Dozens of stray cats lie drained on the floor.

"How can they live like this?" said Vlad, so disgusted by all of it.

"They have nowhere else to go." said Bertrand, explaining it to him. "Sometimes, immortality just gives you more time to fail."

"Nice of you to join us." said Malik, greeting them. "Hope you like what we've done with the place."

"You made a big mistake at the football match." said Vlad, so sternly.

"Oh, tell me about it." said Malik. "I should have headed Ryan's cross instead of going for the volleys. Sorry, man."

"You bit your way through half of the slayer team." said Bertrand, criticizing him.

"Oh, that mistake." said Malik, realizing it.

"The Slayers's Guild have given us 48 hours to stop attacking breathers. Otherwise, the ceasefire is over." said Vlad, explaining it to him.

"Does this mean they don't want a rematch?" said Ryan, so jokingly as the street fangs laugh with him.

"I'm starting a new training course at Garside. We'll teach you the skills you need to rebuild your lives." said Vlad, talking to them.

"We'll help you make the switch from biting breathers to using blood bags." said Bertrand.

"To learn how to become part of society again. Have jobs and nice homes." said Vlad, saying his speech. "Be trusted, respected, admired. Not scraping down here with the rats. I can revamp you. Now, who's with me?" The street fangs laughed at him.

"Revamp you?" said Bertrand, looking at him. "Really?"

"I thought it was catchy." said Vlad. "Obviously, not everyone agrees."