Chapter 12: Blood Loyalties

Dear Vlad, it was all an act

Dear Vlad, it was all an act. Mina and Jonno know exactly what you are. The mind wipe was never in place. They're planning an attack with the Slayers' Guild. You might not believe me, but I'm going to prove it to you. Please, watch out for Ingrid. She's converting girls into vampires. They've already tried to kill you. Don't trust her. ~ Erin. Vlad reads the letter in his room. After he finished reading it, he went to the Throne Room to show it to everyone.

We were puzzled at that except for The Count, who couldn't care less of a flaming fang.

"More lies from your breather slayer friend." said The Count, leaning forward in his throne.

"Some of it could be true." said Vlad, looking over his shoulder while his body faces the dusk lit window.

"What? You mean the part about Ingrid being a devious little traitor?" said The Count, mentioning it to him.

"She's delusional." said Ingrid, so innocently.

"I know you've changed. But if the Slayers' Guild are planning an attack, we need to be ready." said Vlad. I agree with him and it's better to be safe than sorry.

"I knew it was a mistake to let the slayer girl live." said The Count, seething with anger.

"Don't blame yourself, Dad." said Ingrid, so softly.

"I don't. I blame him." said The Count, motioning his head towards Bertrand.

"Me? What did I do?" said Bertrand, questioning him.

"My orders were quite clear. You were supposed to not do anything." said The Count, hiding something. "Right. Who's up for a glass of vintage blood? My treat."

"You ordered Bertrand to get rid of Erin." said Vlad, realizing it as he looked at his father. "It was you. You locked her on the balcony."

"We were trying to protect you." said The Count, trying to find an excuse.

"Oh, by eradicating my friend?!" said Vlad, questioning him.

"The past is— is the past. What's important is that the family stays together." said The Count, reassuring him.

"Is there no one I can trust?" said Vlad, so sadly.

"You can trust me, Vlad." I said, so happily.

"I know, and that's why I love you, Kallie." said Vlad, leaning in for a kiss. I leaned in too and we kissed. The Count, Ingrid, and Bertrand were happy for us.

"I definitely wouldn't trust Erin." said The Count, so meanly as Vlad speeds out of the room and goes to his room, so fed up with lies and deceit.

"Vlad needs closure." said Bertrand, walking to the other side of the room.

"Yes, closure." said Ingrid, agreeing with him. "You think it would help if Vlad has a good, long talk with Erin?"

"No." said Bertrand, resting his hand on the arm of the throne. "I think it would help if we hunted her down and drained her."