Chapter 36: Memverse 64 (Every Colored Chip is Personalized)

Heimdal stood as all exited the tower. Purah had can help, giving Heimdal a break, helping Marina reconfigure the Order Brush. Purah exited with Octavius, the two were deep in conversation as they disappeared to reality.

"I got a key." Acht said as they handed it to Heimdal, who took it a bit violently. "Yo, you good Kewpie?" Acht asked. Heimdal didn't say anything, he put the key in as the final locker door swung open.

"It's empty." Heimdal said coldly.

"Empty?!" Marina shouted. "It can't be! I picked up the pallet's signal I swear!" Heimdal was about to respond as the lockers began to break down into code, forming together into a small Octoling girl and an Octo Shot which both rested unmoving on the ground.

"It's Eight." Pearl said with a gasp. "Wait, so Eight was the lockers the whole time?"

"All of the pallets were inside of Eight's soul then." Heimdal said deductively.

"Does that mean everyone trapped here in a way meant something to Eight? So that they would be locked inside her?" Acht asked. Eight's eyes began to open as she stared at Heimdal intently.

"So, you're the real Eight." He said.

"Where?..." Eight began as she stood.

"Oh Eight, I had no idea you were trapped like that. I'm sorry." Marina said.

"Marina. Be honest with me." Heimdal started. "Angel is supposed to be in my place, isn't she?"

"Well..." Marina muttered.

"I've found these on my journey, gave them a good look before Acht arrived." Heimdal held up the notes.

"Oh, my diary entries..." Marina said quietly. "I hope you have a better understanding of why..."

"Why Eight was picked. Yes. But why am I here? Why?"

"I don't..." Marina whispered. "I don't know."

"I think I know who may know." Acht butted in as they pointed to the top of the spire. 

"So, Eight." Acht said. "What happened?"

"I... I don't remember... I know Marina asked me something, but then everything after that is blurry..." Eight replied. "What's going on?"

"This is the memverse, a place made to help Octolings get their memories back. All Octoling memories are made into chips like this." Heimdal explained as they handed a colored chip to Angel. Angel took it from him and placed it in her own pallet. "I'm sure we can get your memories back, on top of reconfiguring your palette so you can escape here."

"I hope so..." Marina whispered.

"Marina, you said earlier that you don't know if you can fix the ash outside. I felt it when I got knocked out after I saved you. Is that ash outside... the remains of memories?"

"The memory cubes were supposed to become colored chips... But Smollusk..."

"When it took over destroyed those memories?" Heimdal asked. Marina nodded sadly. Angel was surprised.

"I still want to try." Angel said. "I still want to try and get mine back."

"You really haven't changed, have you Eight?" Pearl said cheerfully.

Heimdal and Eight both arrived on floor 10. "This is the Echo Onslaught!" Heimdal yelled as they both rode the cage over to the arena as the echos respawned. 

"They look like my friends." Eight said innocently as now only seven Canons remained. The Shot, The Splatana, The Splatling, The Slosher, The Blaster, The Brush, and The Brella.