Chapter 8: Hydrographic Blitz

"Eh? Agent 8? I think I dozed off... Did you understand anything that slimy conductor was babbling?" Cap'n asked. Agent 8 nodded. Just then, the two of them heard buzzing. "AH! My walkie talkie!" Cap'n pulled out his radio. "Agent 3? Come in agent 3! is that you?!"

"Agent what now?" A voice came through.

"Who is this?!" Cap'n asked, extremely confused.

"Relax old man. They call me the M.C. Princess! Pearl! and the legend DJ Hyperfresh herself!"

"Oh Pearl..." A second voice came through. "I am Marina, Pearl and I are here on Mount Nantai when we found this radio on the mountain."

"Well, that lines up with my memory." Cap'n Cuttlefish remarked. "That is where I remember being last with Agent 3 before suddenly winding up here."

"Where are you?" Pearl asked curiously.

"Some underground train. What did they call it? 'Deep Sea Metro'?" Cap'n Cuttlefish replied.

"Well, I think I may be able to help you actually." Marina said. "I think I was able to live track you guys through this transmission, we can assist you and Eight from here!"

"Wait seriously 'Rina? That's AWESOME!" Pearl cheered. Agent 8 looked at her map, it seemed the only way to freedom was to go through the entire underground. She was ready to take that chance.

They arrived at the first station. Agent 8 Exited, at the platform she had to pick at weapon to complete the test with, she was given an Octoshot. She looked at it for a moment, it felt almost... nostalgic to hold. Her thoughts were cut off as she entered the test area.

"A forest?" Cap'n Cuttlefish remarked. The test area, while being underground, was full of trees. 

Eight studied the trees for a minute. "What are those bags..." She wondered to herself as she noted the strange IVs full of some stange green liquid which aslso laced the ground. It was ink, but the ink seemed almost alive. When Eight accidently stepped in the ink, she felt like it clung to her heel as she walked. She continued as what appeared to be a strange Octoling jumped right at her. Eight flinched.

"Seek and Destroy." She said shallowly. She attacked Eight mercilessly. Eight retaliated and eventually was able to take her down.

But as soon as she was defeated, two more attacked her out of nowhere, one of which even had an inkjet and attacked from the sky as the other remained on the ground

"NANI?! How did an Octarian get ahold of a special weapon?" Cap'n Cuttlefish remarked in fear. Eight narrowly escaped the attack, being able to take out the Octoling on the ground before the other eventually came down after the special ran dry.

Eight dashed to the goal and concluded the test, returning to the station platform, she was rewarded with a small object. Eight entered the train as she stared longingly at the small object.

 Eight entered the train as she stared longingly at the small object

"Oh, I know what that is!" Marina said over the walkie. "That's Mem Cake."

"A what cake?" Cap'n Cuttlefish asked. "What flavor is it?"

"No not that kind of cake." Marina laughed. "A Mem Cake is a physical compression of memories. Eight, is that your memory?"

Eight stared at the small cake in her hands. "Dueling hands of long ago, falling into the darkness. Lost in obscurity, ending up in a dank grinder."

"What does that mean?" Pearl asked confused.

"Oh, what a charming poem Eight." Marina commented. "You were able to recall something from your past?"

"Faintly..." Eight replied. "... Very faintly..."

"Hey Marina." Eight practically whispered to the radio.

"Yes Eight?" Marina replied.

"What is going on with... those Octolings."

"I'm not entirely sure myself." Marina murmured.

"Why are y'all whispering so much?" Pearl asked loudly.

Marina stayed quiet as she began typing away in her laptop. "I can't say much as of now unfortunately." She finally said. "But from what I can detect within the station you just left... It would appear as if those Octolings you just faced... I can't... read much... It's almost as if... if..."

"If what? C'mon 'Rina, spill the deets!" Pearl said in anticipation.

"It's almost as if those Octolings, and even the Octarian soldiers in that test room... Don't even have a pulse." Marina said quietly.

"No pulse..." Eight murmured.