Chapter 28: Cap'n's Orders

"A splatling, huh." Pearl commented as Heimdal opened the next locker. "This appears to be Agent 3's palette."

"I heard he isn't Agent 3 anymore." Marina recalled. "Something about Craig retiring a while ago, Agent 3 became Cap'n."

"Good for him, well, let's head to the tower!" Pearl cheered.

Order Splatling - palette: Torvald Kenryoku

"Cap'n Towd or whatevew he's cawwed! Even though he was on ouw side of owdew, he had to go and become fwiends with that Unagi jewk and get feewings fow that acutwy sweet wuffian giwl fwom the Spwatwands!  He could've been a pewfect agent of Owdew, but nooo he had to go and faww in love and wowsen that compwex of his! He dug his own gwave!" -Smollusk

"It makes sense for someone named 'Kenryoku' to love a powerful weapon like a splatling! It's fust too fitting, right?" -Marina 

'I remember meeting Agent 3- I mean Cap'n 3 in the Metro with Eight. He seems like someone who thinks a bit too highly of himself." - Pearl

"I remember him. Don't you, Heimdal?" -Acht

"Floor 10, same drill." Acht commented. Heimdal exited to the Parallel Arena. "I wish they'd disappear with the pallets!"

"Now this weapon too..." Heimdal whispered. Pearl looked over as Heimdal's gaze narrowed as each of the Parallel Canons landed in an all-out ambush. Heimdal had no trouble taking them all down, except for one, the Canon with a roller, he couldn't bring himself to doing it. 

"Attack... I can't.... do it! Do it! Not her... I can't... RAH!" Heimdal fought with himself until he finally unleashed his charge and reluctantly splatted the final canon.

"What was that?" Acht asked as the duo returned to the elevator.

"I dunno..." Heimdal muttered. "It feels like whenever I'm fighting a boss... I'm not... me." Marina looked worried but remained quiet.

Floor 20 was different, As Heimdal rode the Cage over to the arena, there waiting was a giant urchin like robot waiting for him. When it noticed the duo coming his way, it screamed as it spat out bombs at Heimdal. Heimdal stood back at aimed his splatling at the giant urchin.

"Pinging Marciale has perfect defense and strong offence. You got to somehow get it's shell open to expose the inside." 

"That's one tough pudding." Acht commented.

Heimdal began to sweat but kept his eyes focused. The Marciale turned to Heimdal and began to whirl, rolling at top speed straight at him. Heimdal valiantly swam to the side. The Marciale hit one of the bumpers around the arena. Its shell opened as it impacted the ground with a shockwave. Heimdal jumped over the wave and shot straight at the Marciale as it spat out Jelletons which quickly surrounded him. Charging up, he shot down as many as he could before running off.

"What are you doing?" Pearl asked. The Marciale was ready to speed off again. Heimdal steadied himself, as it charged Heimdal swam to the side, the Marciale hit a bumper and opened up. "I see what you're doing! Keep it up Kewpie! Sause up that uni-looney!"

"It's just as I thought." Marina muttered. Acht looked over at her.

Heimdal shot another charge at the Marciale, breaking the first layer of the Marciale's protective shell. Angered, the Marciale unleashed killer whales off in multiple streams. Heimdal flinched and tried to cover his ears. He took another full charge and rolled the Marciale into the bumper, opening it up, and shoot the second layer off. 

The Marciale was extra angry, barely giving Heimdal a chance to dodge as it zipped around the arena, halting for a moment before speeding off again. It eventually stopped before breaking itself open as it cooled down. Heimdal took that moment to deliver the final charge, causing the Marciale to explode.

"Let's go Kewpie!" Marina smiled. Heimdal dramatically flicked his hair. Marina's smile wavered.

"Again?! This is twice now!" Smollusk complained.

"We have to configure these palettes, so we have to keep coming back." Marina explained.

"Do you even know how much I just can't stand wooking at you jewks?! Smollusk pouted. "Why do you guys even WANT to configuwe THAT Pawwet? That guy Towd is a weaw DOPE!"

"He is not a dope!" Marina defended.

"Mawina! That suwface lovew is the reason fow all the tuwmoil in the heawts of Octoling kind!"

"Turmoil?" Marina asked. "What do you mean."

"I won't say! I won't! I wefuse!" Smollusk complained. "If you out of evewyone doesn't know!"

"Let's just fix up this palette and go before he throws another fit." Pearl whispered.

Marina got to work and Tord was set free. Tord sat up and rubbed his head.

"What was the cwingy speech you gave in Octo Valley?" Smollusk asked condescendingly. "The waw is ovew! you can go to the suwface! Wive youw own wife! Am I wight?" Tord flinched. "Did you stop to think a big change wike that wouwd be HAWD for Octolings to adjust to?!"

"I've been in what feels like a really long coma and the first thing I hear is a microscopic floating stress ball insulting me for starting a revolution."

"micwoscopic fwoating stwess ball?!" Smollusk screamed in anger. "At weast my face doesn't have gwound up Octopus juice stains." Tord flinched.

"You two please stop fighting, I'll get them out of here." Marina butted in.

"Pwease do Mawina." Smollusk crossed his tentacles.

"What was that place?" Tord ask Heimdal as they returned to the real Square.

"The Memverse. It was made to help Sanitized Octolings. But that tiny Octopus you were making fun of now has control over it." Heimdal explained. "So, you're Tord, hm?"

"Yeah. Do I know you?" Tord asked.

"Would hope so, I was there during your fight with Octavio all those years ago. Don't take to heart what Smollusk said. A lot of Octolings are happy to be here. We wouldn't have formed the association if he didn't want to be here."

"I suppose you're right. Are the others stuck in the Memverse?"

"Most likely. But don't worry, I'll save them!" Heimdal assured him. Tord crossed his arms in approval.