Chapter 48: July 1925

A/N: Again the dates. So the Brooklands race is said to happen on the 9th and Daisy's exams on the 20th and then both events happen on the same day? I decided to go with the 9th partly because it gives more of a gap between this chapter and the next one.

——

A month after the house opening, Cora has settled in well at the Hospital as the new president as they continue with the merger. Emma wishes she could be a part of it more but she can't just walk down to the Village anymore for a quick visit and bringing out the car would just be an inconvenience for everyone.

They are having tea in the Library. Robert is in an armchair, Cora, Emma and Edith are on the red settees while Tom stands nearby. Mary is in a chair close to Robert.

"We'd stay with Rosamund, drive to the track, have lunch, see some racing and come home the following day." Robert argues. "Billy's even agreed to take a few days off work to join us."

Ever since they'd received the invitation from Henry Talbot to come to the races next week that morning, Robert has been desperate to go despite still convalescing.

"It's so unnecessary in your state. And what about Emma?" Cora retorts.

A heavily pregnant Emma pouts at her words. "I'm not an invalid. Plus, if anything happens, we're near London where I can receive the best medical care."

"If Emma says she can, she can. And I'm not in a "state". Unless it's a state of boredom." Robert grumbles causing Emma to chuckle at that. "Please let me."

"It's not my decision." Cora counters.

"If you mean that, then we're going." Robert says gleefully.

"Are you sure about coming?" Cora asks Emma.

"I'll be fine." Emma retorts. "It's only up to London, it's not liking I'm racing or traipsing the highlands like Mary did when she was pregnant with George." She gives a pointed glance to Mary who rolls her eyes but says nothing.

"Tom, what do you say?"

"Nothing if he knows what's good for him." Emma answers before he can. She turns her pointed gaze to Tom, who simply smiles softly at her. Good.

"Edith?" Tom asks, turning away from Emma's gaze.

"Oh, I'm in if Bertie's coming."

Emma smiles approvingly.

"It's a long way for him." Robert comments.

Emma side-eyes him. Please don't ruin this!

"Maybe there's something else for him to do in London." Edith replies breezily.

"Isn't it enough that it's a chance to see you?" Mary asks almost snidely.

"Would it annoy you if it were?" Edith quips. She gives Mary a challenging look over her tea cup.

——

It's next week and they have all left for London and Brooklands for a few days. Before they left, Emma made sure to wish Daisy luck for her exams which will be happening while they're at the race. Mr Molesley as well for his own exam.