Chapter 14: February 1919

Emma has gone back to being a servant, though she knows helps to serve the family when they eat, as the Hospital no longer needs her and she doesn't have anything else but now the war is over she's thinking more and more about Mr Branson's, Tom's, offer and leaving Downton for a new life in Ireland.

Sybil has told Emma that her and Billy Prior have agreed to run away a couple of weeks earlier and had asked for Emma's assistance, which she gives and this delays her answering Tom's request.

The plan was already in motion, Billy has gotten a job in marine engineering and shipbuilding down in Southampton that is set up. The plan was for Emma to get the keys for one of the Downton cars and, along with Billy sneaking onto the grounds, they are going to leave in the car and begin the journey to Gretna Green.

Emma is anxious about all this sneaking about but Sybil reassures her that it will be okay. She knows that Sybil is getting increasingly irritated by her family's talk of things returning to the way they were and the insipid conversations around her. She's eagerly waiting to leave this life.

——

Emma finds Lady Edith watching an army Hospital truck leave from the front door.

"That's the last of the equipment gone." Lady Edith says as Emma joins her.

"We've put the Drawing room back to normal, it seems the war really is over," Emma replies.

"Yes, it seems so."

——

Due to the lack of footmen, Emma a short time later finds herself stepping up to the car that holds Sir Richard and holds the door open for him as he steps out while his valet, Mr Brookes, steps out from the front of the car on his own. Her eyes flicker to Mr Branson sitting in the driver's seat and he gazes back.

Lord Grantham joins them as he steps out.

"The train was late." Sir Richard says to him.

"Welcome to the new world." His Lordship replies as Emma closes the car door and starts unstrapping the luggage from the back of the car with the help of Mr Brookes.

"When a war is over, the first emotion is relief, the second, disappointment." Sir Richard drearily remarks.

"How sad. But how true. Come in and have some tea." The two of them walk inside.

——

That evening, Emma sits next to Anna at the table in the Servants' Hall with Daisy pouring her some tea as Mrs Patmore brings some food to the table. Mr Bates sits on Anna's other side while Thomas, Miss O'Brien and Gemma sit on the other side.

"Will you miss the extra staff, Mrs Patmore?" Anna asks the woman who just entered. George passes behind Emma with a jug so she pushes her chair in a bit so he doesn't trip.

Mrs Patmore huffs. "Not really. When push comes to shove, I'd rather do it myself. Though God knows what I'm to feed them on. There's nothing out there to be had. Oh well. The Lord tempers the wind to the shorn lamb." She then walks out of the room

"What about you, Thomas? How much longer will you stay?" Daisy asks as she pours Mr Bates a cup.

"Well, now the last of the invalids have gone, I suppose I'm finished. I'll report to Major Clarkson, but he won't be taking anyone on." Thomas tells her. Emma observes him, feeling sorry for him.

"No he isn't, which obviously meant I could no longer continue there," Emma says. "I'm thankful the family took me back on."

"I suppose the Hospital will revert to the way it was before the war," Anna remarks.