Chapter 24: Mid August to End of September 1920

Emma goes to London with Mary with them only telling Cora why. Dr Ryder tells Mary that she needs to have a small operation though Mary doesn't want to talk about what exactly is wrong. Emma is very worried about it but Mary thankfully is fine, tired, but fine though has been told she can't do any sexual activity. Emma wonders how Mary is going to be able to keep Matthew away without him becoming suspicious until Mary gets the all clear.

Emma in the meantime is able to get a job as a nurse at the Hospital since they seem to be staying at Downton for longer, Emma wants to be doing something useful plus her promise to Sybil that their children would be close.

Emma, Tom and Ivy are still at Downton but that won't be long as they are moving into the Agent's house as Mr Jarvis has moved out. Emma and Tom have looked around together and decided on decorating properly soon after the cricket match.

Turns out Alfred has reported to a horrified Mr Carson about what he saw between Thomas and Jimmy. Mr Carson has decided that Thomas can get a reference and leave while using Mr Bates returning as an excuse. Emma is sad to see him go but worries about what Alfred or Jimmy would do if he stays.

——

"How are you getting on with the cricket team?" Cora asks her husband as she does some sewing as she sits on one of the settees in the Library. It's mid August now and the cricket match will be happening in just over a month's time.

"We should be all right. We've still got Thomas, thank God and it seems Billy knows a thing or two." Robert replies from his desk.

"Won't Thomas be leaving soon?" Edith asks from where she's looking through some papers at a different desk.

Robert turns to look at her. "Not before the match if I've got anything to do with it."

"One of the gardeners told Gemma their team is in 'terrific shape'." Emma says as she looks up from her book from her settee opposite Cora. Gemma had become Emma's little helper now and again but her main job still fell to being the head maid, now that Anna is Mary's lady's maid, and helping Edith with getting dressed etc.

"It's so unfair the outside staff play for the Village," Robert complains.

"Why don't you support the house and the Village? You own both." Edith retorts. Emma looks over to see Mary sitting on a chair, between her father and sister, in a daze and not engaging with the conversation. Emma frowns in concern about Mary's behaviour.

"But I'm captain of the house team." Robert counters as he gathers up his papers and walks over to them.

"If I were you, I'd be captain of the Village. They always win." Cora comments with an amused smile.

"Not always. Usually, but not always." Robert corrects before noticing his eldest daughter's mood. "Mary, you look as if you're in a trance. What were you and Emma doing in London? It's worn you out."

"Maybe. I'll try and rest tomorrow." Mary quickly replies. Emma shares a knowing and sympathetic look with Cora.

——

"Mary?" Emma calls as she opens the door and steps into the eldest Crawley daughter's bedroom.

"Oh, Emma." Mary breathes in relief. "I thought you were Matthew."

"No, he's still getting dressed for dinner, I think," Emma says, coming over and taking a seat next to Mary. "Are you sure you're feeling well? You've been off since we came back and you didn't tell me much about what the doctor said."

"Look, all you need to know is that Dr. Ryder believes it went well." Mary sighs. "He was quite optimistic about the outcome."

"If you say so." Emma then smirks. "Are you really going to keep him at arms length for the next few weeks?"