Chapter 3: April to May 1913

A/N: I have decided to begin including the dates of the episodes in the titles as best I can from the Downton wiki timeline page. In this chapter, I put April to May as I was not fully sure when it happened but the page strongly argues that it happened at some point during these months. Let me know if you think the dates should be different.

——

The days get repetitive so it's nice when something new comes along. For example, when Gwen's big secret is revealed.

Emma is trying to help Anna on her quest of cleaning the top of the cupboard, which is next to the door of her and Gwen's room, by holding the chair she is standing on and just being there to catch her if she tips over.

Anna is trying to move a large case on top of the cupboard, but it won't budge when Gwen enters from coming back from the Village causing to Anna almost fall. Emma stabilises the chair and Anna grabs onto the cupboard.

"Christ Gwen, you could've caused some real hurt there," Emma says.

"Sorry," Gwen mutters before turning to Anna. "What are you doing?"

"If you must know, I'm trying to find some space on top of the cupboard to make life easier. Emma is helping." Gwen closes the door and Anna gets off the chair.

"So, what's in it, then?" Anna demands in a soft but commanding voice.

"What?"

"That huge thing up there!" Emma says pointing at the large case. "It's a bit heavy!"

Gwen looks anxious. "Can't you just leave it?"

"No, we can't. And you'll tell us right now." Anna orders.

Cut to Anna, Gwen and Emma staring down at a typewriter that they had pulled out of the packing case on top of the cupboard and now sitting on a table.

"How much did it cost?" Emma questions gaping at the massive thing. Can't believe that this used to be the 'modern' thing.

"Every penny I'd saved. Al-almost."

"And... I-is this the mystery lover?" Anna asks in shock.

Emma raises an eyebrow. "Mystery lover?"

Gwen huffs. "Well, I've been taking a correspondence course in typing and shorthand. That's what was in the envelopes."

"Are you any good?" Anna asks.

"Yes. I am, actually." Gwen says confidently. Good for her.

Suddenly the door behind them opens. They quickly move to block the typewriter from view and see that it is Miss O'Brien. Great just what they need.

"Eh, Her Ladyship wants the full skirt Lady Mary never wears. A seamstress is going to fit it to Lady Sybil, but I can't find it." She speaks.

"I'll come in a minute," Anna says not moving from where she is standing.

Neither does Miss O'Brien. "They're waiting now."

"One minute. I'm just changing my cap and apron."

Miss O'Brien looks at them suspiciously and leaves. Anna closes the door.

"Have you told anyone?" Emma questions. Gwen shakes her head.

"What did your parents say?" Anna asks concerned.

"Well, I can't tell them till I've got a job. Dad will think I'm a fool to leave a good place and Mum will say I'm getting above myself, but... but I don't believe that." Gwen argues.

"Well, I think I talk for the both of us when I say we agree," Emma says, getting a nod from Anna.

——