Chapter 5: July to August 1913

It is nearing the end of the month of July as well as the flower show and like every morning Emma and the other housemaids are going around cleaning all the bedrooms now that the family are downstairs and dressed.

Emma wanders into Lady Mary's room where she knows Gwen and Anna are, after completing Lady Edith's with Gemma, to see if they need any assistance.

As Emma steps into the room, there is suddenly a loud clanging noise and a scream which sounds like Anna. Emma jumps but quickly realises it is just Daisy knocking what she thinks is a poker.

"You made me jump." Anna laughs as she and Gwen smooth down the sheet they had spread onto the bed.

"Tell me about it. My heart is still pounding." Emma comments, placing a hand over her heart as if that would calm it down.

Gwen chuckles. "Daisy, what is the matter with you? You're all thumbs."

"Sorry." Daisy quietly replies. Emma sees that the girl looks quite ashen. "I hate this room."

"Well, why? What's the matter with it?" Gwen asks.

When Daisy does not reply, Emma calls her name seeing how shaken she looks. She still does not answer and turns to continue with her work. Gwen, Anna and Emma all look at each other concerned.

——

Lady Sybil finds Gwen and Emma in her room cleaning and thrusts an open letter toward Gwen.

"I saw another opening for a secretary and I applied." She explains.

"But you never said," Gwen exclaims but Emma can hear that she is happy at hearing the news.

"I didn't want you to be disappointed." Lady Sybil reasons.

"I thought you'd given up."

"I'll never give up, and nor will you. Things are changing for women, Gwen. Not just the vote, but our lives." Lady Sybil declares passionately.

"Hear hear." Emma pipes up.

"But it's tomorrow at ten o'clock. Last time, we waited for weeks and weeks and—and this one's tomorrow." Gwen stutters with a mixture of excitement and nervousness.

"Then we must be ready by tomorrow, mustn't we?" Lady Sybil replies.

——

Emma is downstairs by the Butler's Pantry when she hears Mr Bates and Thomas conversing. She slips towards them but is out of sight to listen. A common occurrence nowadays.

"Is Mr Carson about?" Mr Bates asks.

"I don't think so. I was just looking for him myself." Thomas replies. There is a pause before Emma sees Mr Bates turn and walk away.

Emma steps where Mr Bates was to see Thomas awkwardly standing sideways.

"Still up to the same habits Thomas?" Emma remarks.

"I don't know what you are talking about Emma." He replies.

"I know I can't stop you but one day you'll have to stop or it'll end badly for you," Emma warns.

"Maybe not for me." He snarks before pushing past her. She worries about his words.

——

Emma sits next to Anna as they do some sewing in the Servants' Hall when Miss O'Brien walks in with a basket and some clothing. Daisy, Gemma and Anne as well as one of the Hall boys, George, are further down the table.