Chapter 8: Autumn 1916

A lot had changed since the war had been declared. It was difficult listening to people discuss the war as if it would be over by Christmas but Emma knew that wasn't going to happen.

It was not only the war that caused things to change as Gwen left soon after for her new job. Emma insisted that they should try to keep in contact as much as possible.

Emma soon learns from O'Brien, who's been writing to Thomas, that joining the medical corps has not kept him from the front. Despite her anger with Thomas, her worry overcomes it as she imagines him having to be out there probably moving the injured off the battlefield or something similar. Emma writes to him about her wishing him well and how current circumstances overcome past grievances. Thomas welcomed her letter, though liked to remind her it's Corporal Barrow now, and they have set a correspondence ever since.

In the first half of 1916, The Military Service Act went into effect. It was the first time that legislation had been passed in British military history introducing conscription. The Act specified that men from 18 to 41 years old were liable to be called up for service in the army. Not long after Ireland declares independence though Emma knows that won't be formally recognised yet. She knew all about this due to Mr Branson, who felt very strongly about it all and she couldn't blame him.

——

The battle of the Somme has begun by now and every mention of it in the newspapers brings shivers down her spine.

The house is all go go go in preparing for the benefit concert to raise money for the Hospital as well as the return of Mr Crawley, now Lieutenant Crawley, after having been away at war for a couple of days. Though this is all for a good cause, Emma doesn't have a hand in the actual event, which has been making her feel a bit useless considering the national crisis.

Anna is giving the new maid Ethel, and her new roommate, the rundown about how they all work. Though Emma finds out that the new girl thinks quite highly of herself when Anna drops her off in the Library where Emma is so she can give her a run down in there.

Ethel fluffs a pillow by tossing it in the air.

"You drop the cushions on the floor as the force plumps them up." Emma tells her.

"I know." Comes the short response. Well alright.

Mrs Hughes comes through. "Ethel, are you settling in?"

Ethel drops a pillow on the floor. "I would be if Anna and Emma would stop teaching me how to suck eggs. I was Head Housemaid in my last position." Emma rolls her eyes.

"You were Senior Housemaid out of two in a much smaller house." Mrs Hughes reminds her.

"Is anyone coming in here tonight?" Emma asks.

"Only at the interval, and keep them out of the Drawing room. I thought Mr Bates would've been back by now, or he could've stood guard." Mrs Hughes says before leaving.

"Who is this Mr Bates?" Ethel asks.

"He's His Lordship's Valet. He's been in London because his mother died." Emma answers. "Apparently they had the funeral last Monday."

"Well, everyone talks about him as if he were king," Ethel adds.

Emma snorts. "Well, I'm not sure about that but he's quite good at getting things done."

The Dowager Countess of Grantham then enters. "Emma." She curtsies. "Help me do battle with this... monstrosity." The Dowager stares at the hideous flower arrangement on the table as Ethel and Emma glance at each other in bewilderment. "Looks like a creature from the Lost World." She starts pulling out flowers. Well thank God, she said it.