Chapter 38: Summer 1924

A/N: Thank you to everyone who has voted on chapters and added this story to their reading lists.

——

In the afternoon, Emma finds a moment to have a break during her shift at the Hospital and decides to wander into the square of the Village to see how far the war memorial is coming along. She's there for only a few minutes when she spots Tom, Robert and Mary walking past and hurries over to them. They must've just finished their meeting with Mr Wavell on Pip's corner. Emma knows there's still disagreement on what to do about Pip's corner. Robert is still stringently against the idea while Tom and Mary support the idea.

"Hello!" She calls to them. Tom sends her a beaming smile while Mary and Robert simply smile in greeting. She reaches them and Tom pecks her on the cheek as they embrace. "How was the meeting?"

Robert grumbles.

Mary grimaces. "Well, Mr Wavell has definitely given us something to think about."

Emma winces in sympathy. "Ah."

"He plans to take over whole field with houses not keeping with the area, selling them off and we get a portion of the profits. One time payment and that's it. It doesn't sound right to me." Robert complains.

Emma shares a look with Tom. She knows her husband can tell that she agrees with Robert. Tom sighs. "Can't stay long, I want to call on the blacksmith. I'll see you all back at the house."

He kisses her cheek and walks away. Mary and Robert stop, spotting Sao eating. Emma turns to see it's Mrs Patmore, with a basket over her arm as if she's been shopping. She's watching the work at the memorial site and wiping tears.

"Mrs Patmore?" Robert calls.

"Oh, good afternoon, M'lord. M'lady. Ma'am." She hurries away, embarrassed that she's been seen.

They all watch after her in confusion.

"I wish I knew what that was about," Robert comments as he and Mary begin walking again. Emma decides to join them for a short while. "And why the funny look when I asked after Shrimpie at luncheon?"

"What's this about Shrimpie?" Emma questions.

"He's back in the country. I didn't want papa to discuss it a luncheon because I suspect he's come to tell Rose they're getting a divorce." Mary explains.

Ah, Emma isn't surprised by that statement. She hasn't met them but from what she's heard, they've never been a well-suited pair.

Robert looks at her alarmed, slowing to a stop. "Are you serious?"

"I'm afraid so. He's hinted at it in his letters, apparently, and I gather things have not been improving." Mary replies.

"That's the end of his career." Robert says solemnly.

"You've said yourself that the Marlboroughs have survived divorce." Mary retorts as they all continue walking again.

"Well, the Marlboroughs are very rich. Shrimpie hasn't got a bean. People will drop them like hot potatoes." Robert counters.

"Are you suggesting that you'll drop Shrimpie?" Emma questions. "Susan's your cousin, not him."

"No, I won't take sides, whatever Susan wants." Robert retorts.

——

Emma is thankful she had the day shift at the Hospital today and didn't have to face luncheon where Robert and Tom apparently clashed over their views on the Russian refugees. Emma knows that this is more than ever driving Tom towards their move to America idea.