Chapter 16: April 1919 to January 1920

A/N: I struggled with this one as I went through a brief time of not being motivated to do any writing for any of my stories so things took longer but I've finally got this one done.

——

Emma and Tom had made the decision to stay in England for a short while longer so that they could attend Sybil and Billy's wedding but by the beginning of May, they are on the boat to Ireland. The last time Emma had been in Ireland was in August 2017 so she knows that life will be very different as this is Ireland before its independence and the beginning of Northern Ireland.

Emma feels terrible going, what with what is happening with Mr Bates but Anna had insisted. She doesn't want Anna to feel like she's a burden to anyone so she listens and goes. It's further along in May when Emma and Tom tie the knot in Dublin in the presence of his family on his side and the three Crawley sisters, Gemma and Anna on the other.

Emma survives meeting his family as they, despite her fears, were non-judgmental about her more English upbringing. He has two brothers called Kieran and Owen and two sisters called Bridget and Ellen. Kieran leaves soon after the wedding as he lives and works in Liverpool and needs to return for work. She also meets her new nieces and nephews. Meeting his many, many cousins is more chaotic though Emma knows that she isn't meeting one as he lives in America. Overall, Emma is thankful for the warm welcome she receives.

She is happy that she has done nursing during the war as it gives her a head start and shows her employers that she was capable and has practical experience. Due to her and Tom's wages, they are able to find a small but comfortable flat in Dublin. It's not much but it has what they need and Emma is happy with that.

Emma is thankful for Mrs Patmore's lessons as it means that she actually knows her way around an early 20th century kitchen. Her first meal, while not amazing, is a success.

With both of them working, Emma puts forward the argument that they should share the household chores as she feels it's unfair for her to work and then do everything at home. This means that Emma doesn't have to do the cooking every day. She knows that neither of them are amazing cooks but they muddle through.

She tells Tom of the consequences of the Treaty of Versailles and that the next Great War is only 20 years away.

Emma realises that as a married woman and one living amongst the working class, away from the hierarchy and stickler that is Downton, she has this new freedom. Emma gets to go to her first pub, since arriving in the past, along with Tom, Ellen and Owen. She finds herself having a blast and actually becomes drunk for the first time in forever.

——

In September, she begins to notice changes to her body that had not been there before. She had been feeling increasingly tired, nauseous and her chest is tender and swollen. Emma knows that this must mean only one thing and when she notices her period is late, she immediately goes to the Doctor during her shift to see if it can be confirmed. She is soon told that yes, she is indeed pregnant, about a month along, and honestly, Emma feels like she's going to cry with happiness though she does have the afterthought that this child and any she has in the next 7 years will become of age during World War Two.

Emma makes sure she gets home before Tom and proceeds to quickly write two letters, one addressed to Gemma and one to Sybil. She knows that they'll tell everyone at Downton so it saves Emma from having to write multiple letters.

She waits anxiously for Tom to come home from the office. She struggles to stay still and begins darting around cleaning and cooking to keep herself distracted.

"What is it?" Tom asks as he comes through the door of their flat. Honestly, Emma doesn't blame him for asking as she probably looks a bit frazzled.

"What's what?" Emma says innocently.

Tom smirks before giving her a quick kiss. "You're fidgeting."

Emma ignores his attitude. "I have something to tell you." He looks concerned. "It's not something bad!"

Tom lets out a relieved sigh. "What a relief. I thought—"

"I'm pregnant." She blurts out.

Tom's eyes widen. "Truly?"

"Truly."

"This is wonderful." Tom grabs her and spins as he wears a beaming smile.

She laughs. "Put me down!"

He puts her down and places a hand on her stomach. "When are you due?"

"Next May." Emma grins.

Tom smiles. "May 1920."

——

It is New Year's Eve when Emma finds a letter from Sybil when she comes home from work. She's four months pregnant at this point and they're still letting her work until she gets to the six month mark though they are already dialling down her workload.

She opens the letter to find Sybil announcing her own pregnancy. It is welcome news considering it is getting closer and closer to the date of Mr Bates' murder trial. Emma hopes it goes well but there's no guarantee plus the fact that the statistic of most women being murdered by their current or ex partner is working against him.

It is a couple more weeks before Emma hears, from Lady Mary, the dreadful news that he has been guilty. Thankfully it is not hanging but will be life imprisonment, which means they have time to overturn the verdict. Emma is glad there's at least some positive news out of all this.

——

Soon Emma gets some news that sent her squealing.

"What is it? What's happening?" Tom runs into the kitchen half dressed and looking panicked.

"It's finally happening! Lady Mary and Mr Crawley! They're getting married!" Emma cries, shoving the letter from Lady Mary in his face as if he's able to read it.

"Really? What happened to Sir Richard?" Tom asks smiling.

"Don't know, don't care." Emma dismisses. "There's an invitation as well, inviting us."

His widen. "Us?"

Emma nods. "Yes, but I'm not sure we'll be able to afford it. Shame, I hoped to see the wedding as well as Sybil, Gemma and the others."

"I'm sorry." Tom apologises.

"It's not your fault." She replies.

"I know but still."

She smiles at him affectionately and strokes his cheek before giving him a kiss.