Chapter 35: February 1924

A/N: Somehow, I've got to season 5 with this story? Don't know how that happened 😅

——

"How was it?" Tom asks Emma as soon as she emerges from the Hospital after a long shift. They share a kiss and an embrace.

"It's been a long morning. One of the nurses is out with a cold so I had double the work with taking care of her usual patients on top of making up tomorrow's schedules and doing the filing for Dr Clarkson." Emma complains as she climbs into the car as Tom does the same on the other side.

This had been a nice pattern that they'd developed ever since she went back to the Hospital and started her job as head nurse. If Tom isn't around to pick her up, often it's Billy as he heads home from work or Edith as she often spends her time in the Village these days anyway.

"You best not be too tired on Saturday," Tom warns her as they drive off towards the Abbey.

"Why?"

"It's Robert and Cora's wedding anniversary, remember? I think they'd want you to be there."

Emma groans. "Fine. What have I missed at the house today anyway? Is Robert still lamenting about a working-class prime minister?"

Tom laughs. "Of course. Maybe we should've warned him."

"Nah." Emma dismisses. "I wouldn't have been able to provide much information anyway. I only know that Mr MacDonald is the first Labour PM and it happened in the 1920s but that's it. That wouldn't reassure Robert. Sorry."

"It's alright. I don't expect you to know everything." Tom reassures her, glancing at her briefly with a smile before looking back at the road.

Emma huffs. "You've changed your tune. I recall you telling me off for not being able to tell much of what happens in Ireland." She grins at him to show she's somewhat joking.

Tom chuckles. "I know but I realise it's the education system's fault, not yours."

"Why thank you."

"Mind you, Mr MacDonald is definitely going to make my job as estate agent more difficult. Apparently, he's not fond of the upper class." Tom says.

"Mmm... suppose that indicates moving forward with our American move idea?" Emma prompts.

"Maybe. We'll have to see."

——

They are all assembling ahead of dinner in the Drawing room except for Cora, who'd been pulled away by a phone call, and Edith, who'd not returned from the Village. Robert, Billy and Tom, in black tie, are bent over some plan or map on a table while Emma talks to Mary and Rose by the fire.

Jimmy opens the door for Edith. "I hope I'm not late."

"No, Carson hasn't come in yet," Rose reassures her.

"That reminds me. We're to receive a Village delegation tomorrow. I ran into the postmistress. She asked if they might pay us a visit." Robert tells them.

"Mrs Wigan?" Rose murmurs.

"What was it that reminded you?" Mary questions.

"She asked for Carson to be present."

"What's it about?" Emma asks.

"They want to erect some kind of memorial to the war."

"What?" Edith asks, confused.

On the other hand, this causes Emma to perk up.

"Well, not to the war, but to the men, the local men, who died in it. They'll be all over the country." Robert further explains. "I suppose they want me as chairman."