Chapter 44: January to Early May 1925

Emma, Tom, Ivy and Michael all stay long enough for Marigold's second birthday but the first at Downton and by late January, they're off to Boston while Atticus and Rose leave shortly after.

Emma, three months pregnant, staggers off the ship, one hand clasped to her mouth while the other holds Ivy's hand. Tom follows with Michael and a suitcase.

"Oh, Christ," Emma mutters wincing, now glad to be on solid ground. The cold temporarily distracts her from her nausea. Why did no one tell her winters in Boston are absolutely freezing?!

"Mama not well?" She hears Michael ask.

"She'll be fine," Tom reassures their son, as he places him down and then grips his hand tightly. "Boat was a bit much for her, that's all." He sounds calm but flashes Emma a concerned look to which Emma swallows and tries to give him a reassuring smile.

"Tommy! Tommy Branson!"

Emma looks up, scanning the dock for the owner of the voice and finds a wiry, dark-haired fellow coming bearing down on them, bustling through the crowds and waving heartily, a big, welcoming smile on his face.

"You made it then?" He greets them.

"Aye, we did. It's good to see you, Patrick." Tom says, breaking into an answering smile.

"You too, cousin, you too." Patrick replies, pumping Tom's hand enthusiastically.

Tom gestures to Emma with the suitcase. "This my wife, Emma."

Emma presses on a smile and holds out her hand politely. "How do you do, Cousin Patrick."

Patrick's eyes widen, but he takes her hand and shakes it. "Jaysus, you really married a proper English lady, eh, Tommy? 'How do you do'?"

Emma clenches her jaw, alert to any suggestion that Tom's cousin might be making fun of her even as they'd only just stepped onto American soil.

Patrick looks down smiling at Ivy and Michael, who are staring up at him with wide eyes. "And who do we have here?"

"This is our daughter, Ivy and our son, Michael. Michael, Ivy, this is Cousin Patrick." Tom says, making the introductions.

"Hello." Ivy says while Michael stares on shyly. Emma narrows her eyes at Patrick's raised eyebrows once he hears her daughter's English accent.

"So, where's your luggage?" Patrick asks, peering around. "I'm guessing you didn't come over in steerage with just that one little suitcase you've got there."

"No, we have some trunks." Emma replies shortly. "We were going to come second class, but Robert wouldn't hear of it. It was his parting gift to upgrade us to first."

Patrick snorts. "Very nice too. But then I suppose that's what comes of living with rich aristos. You'll need to go to the luggage collection office then. It's just over there. I'll flag down a taxi while you're sorting it out. I'll see you out front in ten minutes."

With that, Patrick hustles off, leaving them standing on the quayside. Emma watches him go, a sliver of unease pricking at her as she wonders whether they are doing the right thing.

——

They stay with Cousin Patrick, his wife Kathleen and kids Pat Junior, Kathy, Rose, Philip and Bridie for the first few weeks.

After spending the weekend getting used to their new surroundings, Tom is thrown into work as Patrick takes him to see the business. His cousin has a good set-up: a few shiny cars in the showroom and a garage out back with a couple of mechanics labouring under the bonnets of the cars in for repair.