Chapter 19: Late May 1920

The Bransons arrive a few days before the wedding to be surrounded by pre-matrimony chaos. Sybil and Billy arrive at a similar time. Sybil is coming along with her pregnancy nicely at 6 months.

Lady Grantham gives them an old bassinet and other baby equipment like a pram that she had moved from the attic. There was the initial offer of having the Nursery set up but Emma doesn't feel comfortable and asks for it to be moved to her and Tom's room. Though she does accept one of the maids, Anne, keeping an eye on Ivy now and again.

——

The servants prepare the Great Hall for the wedding reception. The room is full of flowers and glasses and servants bustling about. Emma had decided to assist Lady Grantham and Gemma with arranging the gifts in the Drawing room.

The Dowager and Edith enter the room later on. Emma is happy to see the beaming smile on Edith's face. Emma still feels nervous in the matriarch's presence though.

"See, I told her everything would come right, but she wouldn't believe me." The grandmother remarks.

"I still can't. Something happening in this house is actually about me." Edith grins as she excitedly looks around the room. Her mother smiles at her. "The dress came this morning."

"I was rather sad you decided against Patou. I would've paid." The Dowager replies.

"Lucille was safer. We don't want her to look like a chorus girl." Her daughter-in-law argues. Edith smiles and shares a chuckle with Emma.

"Either way the dress looked lovely," Emma adds though she had internally cringed at the price considering the family predicament.

The Dowager hums. "How is Anthony? Excited, I hope."

"Desperately." Her granddaughter replies. "Just when he thought his life would never change, he's going right back to the beginning."

"Oh. What an invigorating prospect." Lady Grantham gives the Dowager a look. Emma tries not to give away her own thoughts. She personally does not see the appeal of Sir Anthony Strallen though he did stand up for Billy and Tom after Larry Grey's prank.

——

Emma is walking through the upstairs corridor, after checking on Ivy and giving her a feed, to join the family in the Library when she comes across Thomas and Mr Molesley. The latter, she had learnt, had been brought in to look after Mathew after previously having been left at Crawley house and Alfred had begun to look after him. Emma wonders if the change had anything to do with Alfred being Miss O'Brien's nephew.

She frowns as she sees Thomas helpfully pick up some clothes that Mr Molesley had dropped. Thomas is usually not that helpful. Then Thomas opening the servants' door for Molesley with a smile, really seals the deal. Emma hopes she gets to the bottom of it.

——

Emma walks into the Library to find Lady Grantham arranging flowers while Lord Grantham sits at his desk and Tom, Billy and Matthew read on the settees. Emma plonks herself next to Tom while Matthew and Billy sit opposite.

Tom turns to her. "How is she?"

"She's fine, though a little fussy but she settled," Emma replies.

"I take it Ivy has settled in?" Lady Grantham asks

Emma nods. "As well as a newborn baby can."

"How will they advertise it?" Lady Grantham then asks her husband.

"I don't know exactly." Her husband replies. ""Desirable nobleman's mansion with surrounding estate and properties.""

"Where will you go?" Billy asks his father-in-law as he closes his book.