Chapter 22: Early August 1920 Continuation

Downton is in mourning. Everyone is dressed in black and Sybil's funeral has brought upon a new wave of sadness to those within the house.

They are gathered in the Drawing room. Emma is sitting with Tom, their hands intertwined as she watches Billy, worried. He has barely spoken, barely eaten ever since Sybil passed and although Emma is struggling too, she wishes she could take away his pain. They are best friends and he doesn't deserve to lose his wife.

"I know we all sound like parrots, Billy," Emma catches Matthew saying, "but I really would like to help if I can. And so would Mary, Emma and Tom."

"My wife is dead. I am past help, but thank you." Bill quietly replies.

Lord Grantham enters the Drawing room, addressing Lady Grantham, "The Southesks looked for you to say goodbye."

She gives him a short answer, "I was here," before turning away from him. Emma sighs. Lady Grantham still blames him for Sybil's death.

Isobel stands and Emma, Mary, Tom and Edith stand with her. "I hope you'll let me know if there's anything I can do. Anything at all."

"Thank you," Mary murmurs.

The Dowager stands. "I'll come with you. Save him getting the car out twice."

"You're both very welcome to stay for some dinner." Lord Grantham says.

"I don't think so." His mother replies. "Grief makes one so terribly tired." She turns to her daughter-in-law and bends down to give her a kiss on the cheek. "Goodbye, my dear. Now that it's over, try to get some rest." She glances over to Billy before kissing her granddaughters and Emma, which she's surprised by, goodbye.

Lord Grantham sits in the chair next to his wife as the woman speaks, "Is it over? When one loses a child, is it ever really over?"

——

"I spoke with Lady Grantham this morning; she wants me to call her Cora now. Shall I call Lord Grantham Robert?" Emma jokes as she walks with Billy in the grounds the next day. She had insisted he needed some air.

"She said the same to me." Billy quietly replies.

There's a lull in the conversation as Emma tries to find something else to say. "What will you name her?"

"Sybil." He answers.

Emma smiles. "A way to remember her. It's lovely."

"Lord Grantham doesn't seem to think so. He says it will be too painful." Billy explains.

"Oh, who cares what he thinks?" Emma dismisses. "I think it's a brilliant idea. Little Sybil can remember her mother and so can we. She deserves to be remembered."

"Indeed she does. She was a better person than I will ever be. I just hope her daughter can be too." Billy confesses.

"Billy, with you as a father, that little girl will be just fine." She comforts.

"Thank you, for being here. You make me feel less, empty, Emma." He admits. "I guess that comes with being best friends."

"Of course, Billy. I love you, you know that. You're like a brother to me." Emma sombrely thinks over the other brother that she lost.

Billy pauses, stopping his stroll. "I was thinking about staying in Downton for a while. Sybil deserves to be with her family."

Emma nods. "Tom wants to move to Liverpool." She blurts.

"What do you want?"

"I want to be happy, and if that's in Liverpool then so be it," Emma replies.

——