Chapter 12: August 1918

It is in the middle of the night when Emma and the others are awoken by Mr Molesley's hurried arrival with a clutched telegram in his hand. Miss O'Brien goes to wake Her Ladyship and subsequently His Lordship while Emma helps Anna get the girls up, which feels like old times except for the fact that it's the middle of the night and everyone is still wearing their pyjamas.

The family gathers in the Library talking to Mr Molesley as the rest of them wait anxiously outside the door.

Mr Carson steps into the room. "Ahem. Beg pardon, my lord. But we're all very anxious to know the news."

"Yes, of course." Lord Grantham and the family appear at the door. "It appears that a few days ago, Captain Crawley was wounded. It's serious, I'm afraid, but he's alive and on his way home to the Hospital in the Village."

"Where there's life, there's hope." Mrs Hughes says.

"What about William? Is he all right?" Daisy asks.

"I'll find out what I can tomorrow. I'm not sure there's much more we can do tonight." His Lordship answers.

"William's father would have had a telegram if anything had happened." Mr Bates suggests.

"I'll drive over in the morning." Lady Edith says.

Lord Grantham nods to Mr Carson and everyone leaves.

——

Lady Edith returns the next day and informs everyone that William was caught in it and he's gone to some Hospital in Leeds.

Emma walks into the Servants' Hall, past George the Hall boy, and slumps in a chair. Thomas and Miss O'Brien are in there with cups of tea and the former is smoking.

"I'm sorry for him. I am. I don't mind Captain Crawley. He's a better man than most of them." Thomas says. Emma is not surprised by the conversation. Like what is everyone else talking about?

"And William, too," Emma says. "He's good un." Gemma and Jean walk in and sit at the other end of the table. O'Brien nods in agreement. Weird but then again weirder things have happened.

Miss O'Brien sighs. "I wish I'd not written that letter to Bates's wife telling her he's back here."

Emma sits up straight. "You what?! What did he do to get that?" She looks at Thomas.

Thomas shrugs. "Don't look at me, I wasn't involved. Anyway, what's that got to do with it?"

"With everything else going on, I know she'll come up here and make trouble." Miss O'Brien replies. Emma scoffs. O'Brien sends her a look.

"Don't blame me, it wasn't my idea," Thomas says.

Daisy comes in with some food and places it.

"Any news?" Miss O'Brien asks.

"Only that the doctor won't let William come to the Village," Daisy tells them.

"Seriously?!" Emma exclaims.

"It's for officers only, he says."

Mrs Patmore comes in and sits next to Miss O'Brien. "His poor father's staying there with him, spending money he's not got, and travelling miles to do it."

"It's not right," Daisy says.

"No, it bloody well isn't." Everyone stares at Thomas. "Well, I'm a working-class lad and so is he, and I get fed up seeing how our lot always gets shafted."

Emma smiles at him. It's one of these moments that Emma sees the more positive side of Thomas.

——