Chapter 2: September to October 1912

As the season turned to autumn, they all waited in anticipation for the new heir, this Mathew Crawley, a middle class lawyer and son to a middle class doctor, to arrive with his mother. There were those that were displeased and those looking forward to it. Emma personally doesn't really care about his social position but obviously some do. Lord Grantham had been the only one that had met him so far in London while the rest of them wait in anticipation for the big event.

Naturally, it came up in discussion on the day of their arrival. They are staying in Crawley house in the Village.

"So, what do you think we'll make of them?" Thomas speaks as many of them are gathered in the Servants' Hall.

"I shouldn't think much. She hasn't even got a lady's maid." Miss O'Brien says with disdain but what's new?

"It's not a capital offence," Anna says kindly.

Mr Bates also defends the newcomers. "She's got a maid; her name's Ellen. She came a day early."

"She's not a lady's maid. She's just a housemaid that fastens hooks and buttons when she has to. There's more to it than that, you know." Miss O'Brien adds snippily. Funny how servants are snobbish as well as their employers.

Mrs Patmore shouts in the distance. "Daisy!" Though Daisy does not move.

"You will have to give us every bit of detail after dinner," Emma says, addressing William and Thomas.

"Are we to treat him as the heir?" William asks innocently.

"Are we heck as like? A doctor's son from Manchester? He'll be lucky if he gets a civil word out of me." Miss O'Brien declares irritably.

"We're all lucky if we get a civil word out of you." Anna remarks and Emma stifles a laugh so that Miss O'Brien does not turn her ire onto her.

Mr Carson enters with a package and they stand. "Gwen, parcel for you. Came by the evening post."

"Thank you, Mr Carson." She takes the parcel and sits back down very quickly. Emma squints her eyes at her, she had been terribly secretive lately.

Carson motions for the servants to sit which they do.

"William?" Mr Carson speaks.

Thomas then interrupts, "Have you seen them yet, Mr Carson?"

"By "them", I assume you mean the new family, in which case, no. I have that pleasure to look forward to this evening."

Mrs Patmore enters. "Daisy, did you hear me call, or have you gone selectively deaf?!" Emma smiles to herself, Mrs Patmore is always good with quick quips.

"No, Mrs Patmore."

"Then might I remind you we are preparing dinner for your future employer, and if it goes wrong, I'll be telling them why!" Daisy rushes after Mrs Patmore.

——

It is time for the big arrival and Emma is prepared for a great deal of second hand embarrassment; she is somewhat glad she doesn't have to be there during their dinner.

Lord Grantham goes to greet them and leads them, with William and Thomas walking behind, into the Great Hall where the house staff are lined up as Lady Grantham, the Dowager, and the girls enter from the other side and line up opposite.

"Welcome to Downton." Lady Grantham says. Emma couldn't help but stare at the newbies from the corner of her eye and can see the others do the same thing.

"Thank you. You've been so kind." Mrs Crawley responds. She seems to be quite able to adapt to the new circumstances.

"What a reception committee!" The son on the other hand. Though to be honest Emma would have been the exact same if when she arrived, she saw everybody lined up like this.