Chapter 4: End of May 1913

A/N: I thought I was gone for ages but it was only just over a month since I have updated this story. I've just been busy. 😅

——

Emma goes into the Village with Anna, Mr Bates, Gwen and Gemma to watch the setup of the fair that had come to town.

"Isn't this exciting!" Emma exclaims excitedly. The others laugh but come on they don't get to do anything really outside of our duties.

"When does it open?" Gwen asks.

"Tomorrow afternoon." Mr Bates says.

"Well, let's get up a party in the evening after we've had our dinner," Gemma says.

"Yes, if Mrs Hughes lets us." Gwen agrees.

"You're right. It doesn't come often and it doesn't stay long." Anna replies.

"What about you, Mr Bates?" Emma asks the man.

"I don't see why not."

"Well, there's Lady Mary," Anna speaks, causing them to glance over to said woman not far from them. Anna then grabbed Emma's arm. "You three go on ahead. We'll see you back at the house." Well, guess she's saying hello to Lady Mary too.

"Right you are, then," Gwen says as Anna and Emma walk over to Lady Mary

"Good day, milady. Is Her Ladyship all right? Has she recovered from...?" Anna tentatively asks as they walk along.

"If you think she'll ever recover from carrying the body of Mr Pamuk from one side of the house to the other, then you don't know her at all." Lady Mary remarks.

"Well not exactly recover, but just... get past it. Is she coping?" Emma pipes up.

"She won't do that either. When she dies, they'll cut her open and find it engraved on her heart."

"What about you? What about your heart?" Anna softly asks.

"Haven't you heard? I don't have a heart. Everyone knows that."

"Not us, milady." Anna softly reprimands her. Emma nods.

——

The new chauffeur is turning up to say since the previous one, Taylor, has gone off to run a tea shop as his retirement.

Emma spots him as he comes down the stairs to the downstairs area. Likely after meeting Lord Grantham.

"Are you the new chauffeur?" She calls drawing his attention as he reaches the bottom of the stairs to where she's standing by the entrance to the Servants' Hall. "Emma Byrne." She says gesturing to herself.

He smiles. Emma can't help but think he looks rather nice actually.

"Yes. Tom Branson." He sticks out his hand for her to shake. "Byrne? That's Irish, isn't it?"

"Yes, from my paternal grandparents." It didn't feel harmless to let slip some information and let him make up his own mind about when exactly her grandparents came over to England. "Most people don't notice that." She smiles at him.

"Well, most people are all English." He quips cheekily.

"Technically I am as well." Emma quips back with a smirk on her face. It felt very easy to talk to him.

"Sort of. Your Irish blood makes up for it even if you sound very English." He replies.

Before Emma can reply, Gemma calls her name from the stairs. "Emma, I need you to help me with this stain on Lady Sybil's dress!" She glances at Mr Branson curiously.