Chapter 37: Late April to Early May 1924

Mary is returning from her 'sketching' trip today. Emma and Anna have been working hard on preparing a folder that contains either fashion sketches or portrait sketches for Mary that were supposedly made on her 'sketching' trip.

"So, what did Mary think of the proposition from the man in Leeds?" Emma asks her husband as he picks her up from the Hospital.

Tom frowns contemplatively. "Not sure yet, but she'll be open to it when she realises how good of a deal it is. Her father on the other hand..."

"Would it be weird if I somewhat agreed with him?" Emma says tentatively.

Tom glances over at her, surprised. "It is. Why?"

"I just worry that an outsider, someone that doesn't know the Village will build these new modern homes that might not fit with the local area." Emma explains. "In my time, there'd be similar style houses going down the road then suddenly this new modern one that stands out like a sore thumb and doesn't match its surroundings."

"Well, we don't have to make a decision now and we won't know anything till we see the plans." Tom replies.

——

Emma is just fixing her hair before dinner when Gemma knocks, picking her head round the door. "Just coming in to see if you have anything that needs washing."

Emma smiles at her friend through her mirror. "Yes, the basket is over there." She gestures to the corner of her room.

Gemma goes over and begins shifting the washing into her own basket.

"Any development on your job hunting?" Emma questions the maid.

Gemma sighs, putting down her basket and slumping on the bed. "Nothing yet, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for."

"You need to try a few or more to find what fits you. You'll find your calling." Emma reassures her. "A war had to happen for me to find mine."

"I suppose."

Emma smirks at her friend. "I bet you never thought you'd be leaving Downton and here we are."

Gemma rolls her eyes, but it's softened by the smile on her face. "And I bet you never thought you'd be dining with the great Earl and Lady Grantham and here we are."

Emma laughs. "True. So, how's things downstairs?"

Gemma shrugs. "Alright I suppose. Mr Molesley is getting used to being the only footman, Daisy is singing Miss Bunting's praises."

Emma chuckles. "Nothing new then."

"No, but..." Gemma pauses, frowning.

"What?"

"A Sergeant Willis has been popping up the past week."

Emma freezes. "Sergeant? As in Police? Whatever for?"

Gemma shrugs carelessly. "It's the Mr Green business. Turns out his death might have not been an accident at all, there's a witness or something. I don't know why they're bothering us."

Emma stares at Gemma with wide eyes, panic rising inside her. "And what did they see?"

"I don't know, only Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes know." She looks at Emma questioningly. "Why?"

"N-nothing." Emma says hurriedly. "Best be going, they'll be waiting for me." She darts out of the room before Gemma can say a word.

——

They enter the Drawing room after dinner with Thomas holding the door for them.

"Of course, you must bring them. If you want to." Cora says to Rose.