Chapter 32: July 1922

Apparently, Cora's brother is really in some hot water as whatever trouble he was in has become a proper scandal and a telegraph has been sent calling Robert to the U.S. as that'll help Harold Levinson's profile. Emma wishes she knew more about this scandal, they're calling it the Tea Pot Dome scandal, but she doesn't as she'd never cared to look into U.S. political history.

This leads to some panic among some living at Downton as Robert is leaving today and Mr Bates doesn't want to leave Anna now and Anna desperately doesn't want him to. Mrs Hughes comes up with the plan to get Mary to argue for Mr Bates not to go, something about Anna being her maid carrying more weight. Mrs Hughes later confesses that she had to tell Mary everything about the attempted rape though kept up the lie of it being a random stranger.

Robert is very disgruntled about not having Mr Bates with him but Emma happily suggests he takes Thomas with him since he used to be his valet. Emma also thinks it may be best to get him out of the house as Gemma reports that Miss Baxter seems to be tormented by Thomas, who seems to be constantly whispering to her and making demands.

——

Emma sits with Edith in some chairs in the Library as they're surrounded by Tom, Mr Napier and Mr Blake. They're conversing about the running of the estate with them when, in the middle of their conversation, Jimmy opens the door for Violet and Rose.

"Judging how things are going, he can manage very well." Tom is saying as the two women enter.

"Oh? Are we disturbing the conclave?" Violet remarks. Emma and Edith stand to greet her while Rose moves to sit on one of the settees.

"We're just discussing the pigs." Emma tells her.

"Ah, the arrival of the pigs and the departure of their master." Violet says as she walks further into the room. Emma frowns as she notes how out of breath and almost wheezy Violet is.

"It's sad Lord Grantham has to miss it." Mr Napier says.

"Are the pigs a good idea, Mr Blake?" Violet asks their guest.

"It's a good idea for estates like this to maximise and diversify." Mr Blake replies. "The question is whether or not Lord Grantham and Lady Mary fully appreciate what they're taking on."

Edith and Emma share an amused look at that remark.

"Oh? You ask as if the answer were no." Violet remarks as she takes a seat.

"Mr Blake is not under Mary's spell." Edith says.

Mr Carson walks in with a glass of water on a tray. "Mrs Crawley." He announces.

Isobel enters. "Morning."

She receives some nods and murmurs of good morning.

Mr Carson leans down with his tray to Violet. "Your water, m'lady."

"Thank you, Carson."

Isobel sits in a chair next to Violet. "Are you feeling hot? I am. I've just walked up from the Village."

"I am a bit hot, but I didn't walk." Violet replies a little breathlessly.

——

Emma walks over to Thomas who is watching Jimmy and Mr Moseley as they load the waiting car with Robert's luggage while dressed in a coat and hat. Mr Carson, Mrs Hughes, Miss Baxter, Anna, Gemma and the other housemaids stand in a line, in the usual useless but very decorative way. On the other side of the front door, the family are assembled.

"Well, good luck on your journey. Be sure to enjoy yourself." Emma greets him with a smile.

Thomas raises an amused eyebrow and wears a slight smirk on his face. "Are you sure you're not expecting some gift?"