Chapter 42: Mid to Late October 1924

"I've finally got a reply from my cousin!" Tom cries as he bursts into their room where Emma is getting ready for dinner.

She puts on a pair of gloves as she turns to him. "The Boston one?"

"Yes." He hands her the letter, and she quickly skims it, skipping past the niceties.

"He wants you to join him in Boston to help him expand into farm machinery?" Emma looks up at him, wide-eyed.

Tom nods eagerly but she can see a level of uncertainty. "Yeah, he seems to think my 'posh English' job means I know all about it."

"Well, don't you?"

"Maybe."

"And you'll be furthering a career." Emma points out. "Being a partner is one step closer to having your own company."

"So, should we? What about your work?" Tom questions.

Emma smiles at him softly. She puts the letter down and walks over, holding his hand. "Boston has hospitals. Plus, it'll be working in a city one rather than a village one."

"It's decided then?"

"Yes, but first, I think I need to find out where Massachusetts is on the map first." Emma quips.

Tom chuckles.

——

Everything seems to be happening now. Rose and Atticus are getting married, and the wedding is fast approaching. In the lead up, Emma finds herself taking part in necessary activities such as Rose showing off possible wedding outfits for the day.

Emma joins Cora, Mary, Violet and Isobel, the older ladies sitting in chairs and Emma and Mary on the side of the bed. Anna is there to help, too.

Rose steps out from the divider with one possibility. "Ta dah!"

They all gasp in approval.

"Oh, that's lovely!" Isobel compliments.

"Give is a spin." Emma suggests. Rose does as she says, showing it off.

"You don't think it's a bit mumsy?" Rose questions.

"No!" They all cry.

"It's very chic." Mary adds.

"Can we see it with the hat?" Violet asks.

Anna hands Rose the matching hat, which Rose puts on. There are more gasps of approval and applause. Isobel claps.

Rose talks to Anna while Anna adjusts the hat in front of the large mirror. "Are you looking forward to London?"

"I am. Mr Bates and I need to inspect our house there, so the timing couldn't be better." Anna replies.

"I'm sorry Susan's missing all this." Cora says to Rose.

Rose scoffs. "She doesn't care about clothes." She takes off the coat she's wearing to look at the dress more closely.

"Will they be there before us?" Emma asks.

"No. They're spending the night in Southampton." Rose answers. "So, we'll all arrive in St James's on the same day."

"And are we to pretend they're a happy couple?" Mary asks pointedly.

"Yes, we jolly well are." Rose replies firmly.

"Why cast a shadow?" Cora argues.

"I quite agree." Rose says.

"I'm sorry it can't be here." Cora says remorsefully.