Chapter 25: September 1921

A year has passed. Many positive things have happened, Mary and Matthew have celebrated their 1st anniversary and Tom and Emma with their second. Ivy is now 1 year and 4 months while Sybbie is 1 year and 1 month. Other positives are that Mary and Emma find themselves pregnant. By September 1921, Mary is 8 months and nearing the end while Emma is just 4 months and still in the more early stages.

They all deeply miss Sybil. The anniversary of her death began with a celebration for little Sybbie and later on a recollection of her late mother. Emma is glad she's finding footing with her new family after the loss of one of her best friends.

Emma and Billy stand with their young daughters, pointing out the servants as they go about their business.

With the autumn beginning, it is the start of the deer stalking season. All the staff are preparing for the family to leave for their regular holiday to Duneagle, the home of Lady Rose MacClare and her parents, Hugh MacClare, Marquess of Flintshire and Susan MacClare, Marchioness of Flintshire, for a summer break at Duneagle Castle in the Highlands of Scotland, leaving most of their servants back at home. It is quite a significant trip as the family hadn't been since before the war.

Mr Bates, Anna, Mr Molesley, and Miss O'Brien are also making the trip. Tom, Emma and Billy remain at Downton after not being invited, which they don't mind.

——

They all sit down for breakfast in the Dining room before they head off. Robert sits at the head with Mary, Emma and Cora on his left, Edith, Matthew and Tom on his left and Billy opposite on the other end. Thomas stands in the corner looking very prim in his under butler outfit.

There's a call for Edith and she leaves to take it before returning.

"Who was it?" Her mother asks.

"My editor, Michael Gregson," Edith answers as she takes her seat. Emma can already see Robert pulling a face at the sound of the man's name. Honestly, after a year you would've thought he would have come round to the idea of his daughter writing for a newspaper. "He's realised he'll be in Scotland at the same time as us."

"Don't tell me he'll be near Duneagle," Mary remarks.

"Apparently." Mary and Emma share a look though Emma's is kinder.

"What a coincidence." Emma jokes with a smile. Matthew gives her and Mary a scolding look.

Edith raises an eyebrow. "Yes, isn't it?"

"Maybe we can ask him over," Cora suggests. "We want to meet him, don't we, Robert?"

Robert sighs and thankfully Matthew changes the conversation. "Why are the Flintshires based in Scotland when the title's Welsh?"

"Oh, Shrimpie's grandmother was Countess of Newtonmoor in her own right. It's now their courtesy title." Robert explains.

"Dare one ask why he's called Shrimpie?" Billy asks with a smile.

"It was a Nursery game. Louisa was a lobster, Agatha was a shark, which is easy to believe, and I suppose Shrimpie was a shrimp." Robert answers.

"Is he very small?" Tom asks. Matthew chuckles.

"No, but he was the youngest," Mary replies. Mr Carson walks in to relieve Thomas of his position in the corner.

"I'm sorry you three won't be with us," Cora says to Tom, Billy and Emma.

"It's all right. We'll have lots to do." Emma reassures her. She has appreciated how Cora has taken a mothering role with the three of them, which Emma has missed. "We have the children too."