Chapter 20: Late July 1920

A/N: While it says this episode takes place around mid August everywhere I looked online, I felt it really didn't make much sense considering episode 8 starts mid August and ends at the end of September so things have been shifted around to give more room for the other episodes.

——

Their return to Dublin is short lived. There's the burning down of Lord and Lady Drumgoole's castle that triggers the end. Tom comes running to Emma in a panic that evening. He was there at the fire and now the police are saying he's one of the instigators. They quickly put in the plan they had for if there were a situation like this, which they had decided on due to Tom's activism for an independent Ireland. They agreed, knowing he wouldn't get a fair trial, that Tom should leave at once to Downton, and that she'd close the flat and follow with Ivy. They don't stop her but Tom had gotten the last boat, so Emma has to wait.

Emma reaches the train station and takes the chance to call Downton. Mr Carson picks up and she asks if she can speak to either Edith or Mary. Soon Edith is on the other end.

"I've no time to talk, but tell them I'm all right, so's Ivy. I'm out of the flat. They haven't stopped me..." Emma stops talking when she sees someone suspicious.

"Who hasn't stopped you? Emma? Hello?" Emma quickly hangs up when she hears the call for the train.

——

The next day, Emma and Ivy make it onto the first boat to England. Then it's on a train to Downton Abbey. Once at the station, they get off to find Downton's chauffeur waiting, who had been there all day, waiting for her arrival. Emma feels relieved as this means Tom made it to Downton and was able to explain what was happening. She hadn't been able to call them anymore so as to not give anything that can trace her.

The motorcar drives to Downton Abbey and Emma enters the Great Hall alone. Suddenly Tom jogs in from the Library, out of breath.

"Oh, thank God." He gasps.

Tom and Emma walk straight into each other's arms and hold tight, though not too tight as Ivy lies between them. They pull back just enough to kiss. Tom strokes her cheek with tears in his eyes. He moves his other hand to stroke Ivy's head. "I'm so sorry."

"Shh. It's all right." Emma says in a hushed voice. "We're here now."

A noise pulls them apart and Emma sees Sybil, 8 months pregnant, hurrying over to them. Emma hands Ivy over to Tom just in time for Sybil to give her a big squeeze.

"Oh, thank goodness you're here. I was worried." Sybil cries.

Emma laughs as she pulls back. "We're fine. What are you doing here? What about Southampton? Where's Billy?"

"He's here," Sybil replies. "I heard the news and raced to Downton and begged my family to help. They like you anyway. Papa's gone to the Home Secretary to see if he can do anything."

——

In the guest bedroom, Tom and Emma sit holding each other's hands while the ladies of the family stand in the room. Anna tidies and leaves.

"They didn't try to stop me, but it doesn't mean they won't come after us. Unless Lord Grantham can persuade them otherwise." Emma says.

"Tom..." Lady Grantham sits on the bed. "How could you have left her all alone with Ivy to fend for herself?"

Emma shakes her head. "It wasn't like that. We thought this might happen and we decided what to do. The question is, what now?"

"You mustn't travel anymore, not before Ivy is older." Tom and Emma look at each other for a moment.