Chapter 28: April 1922

A/N: Thank you to everyone that has voted on chapters and added this story to their reading lists.

——

It's time for the extravagant house party at Downton Abbey which culminates in a performance by opera singer Dame Nellie Melba. Ten are staying, and only three maids and two valets between them. Mr Carson must be in a tizzy. Among the guests is Michael Gregson, who is keen to win Robert's approval if he is to make a future with Edith. Emma has been recruited in their plan.

In the Great Hall, the guests are assembled, standing and talking in little groups with cups of tea. Robert and Cora are busy making the guests welcome. Emma stands close by Edith and Mr Gregson, who had told her to call him Michael though she finds it funny that it's the same name as her son. She's glad for the familiar face of Edith and the friendly one of Michael's as she's a bit nervous and uncomfortable to be surrounded and mingling with all these people of high society. Not her usual crowd at all.

"I seem to be outnumbered by your parents' old friends." Michael complains as he walks with Edith and Emma across the room. Emma glances over to see Robert and Mary mingling with a man around her, Edith and Mary's age.

"Oh, don't worry. You and Papa are really going to get to know each other this time. I promise." Edith reassures him.

Emma's eyes flicker over to Billy being pulled into a conversation with the elderly Duchess of Yeovil and looking incredibly uncomfortable. Emma had been introduced to the woman earlier and she had been nice enough but Emma could see the woman didn't know what to say to her. Tom is unfortunately conversing with a Sir John Bullock and Mrs Jefferson and looking like a fish out of water himself. Emma will go to rescue him in a moment.

Emma, Edith and Michael pause in their walking next to a group that includes Violet, Cora and some man. Cora turns to them and joins in on their conversation. At least one parent has warmed up to Edith's suitor.

Emma is pulled out of her musing by Robert speaking loudly, to the room at large, "Go up when you like. We'll gather in the Drawing room at eight."

——

Billy and Tom are both in white tie outfits. Tom had expressed to her how he thinks he looks like an idiot but Emma reassured him that she still loves him to which he smiled. Emma knows that three of them are walking a tightrope, she herself is wearing clothing that's more upper class than her usual.

A Sir John Bullock seems quite taken Rose, the two laugh and talk with one another as they walk through the room. Edith and Michael are murmuring to one another. Michael seems to have not been able to get a wiggle in on Robert's attention. Duchess has secured Billy's company again. Emma watches them out of the corner of her eye as she chats with Mrs Jefferson. They had gotten onto the awkward topic of child rearing.

"What do you mean you feed your children yourself?" Mrs Jefferson asks aghast.

"Oh, it's no problem." Emma tries to say as cheerfully as possible. She regrets mentioning her children; she had thought it was a safe topic.

"But a wet nurse is for that."

"Well, I-I want to be involved with my children's upbringing as much as I can considering the life I now lead." Emma defends.

"And you want to go back to work?" The woman asks in disbelief.

"Yes." Emma replies shortly.

"What on earth for? You're a mother. A wife. You shouldn't be working." Mrs Jefferson argues.

"Not until Michael doesn't need me as much and it's not as if they're being left on their own." Emma points out. This woman is acting as if she's left her children in the woods to starve! God, she hates this century sometimes. "They have their nannies, each other and Lord and Lady Grantham's grandchildren to keep them company."