Chapter 40: Late September 1924

Emma is at breakfast with Robert, Tom, Edith, and Rose, attended by Mr Carson when Mr Molesley brings in a telegram on the salver and hands it to Mr Carson. Emma watches curiously to see him take it to Edith, who is talking to Rose. Surprised, she takes it and opens it. She looks horrified at what she reads there. The rest of them exchange uneasy looks. Nobody says a word because they all know what this is, what it likely is.

Her editor is on his way to see her which can only mean one thing.

Since Tom is busy with meetings, Emma joins Cora, Mary, Edith, Robert, and Rose for lunch. Edith is dreadfully pale and silent, and the atmosphere is very subdued.

"Do we know when he'll get here?" Mary asks her father.

"Later this afternoon." Cora replies.

Thankfully Robert changes the topic. "I should have some drawings for you all to look at before too long."

"What sort of drawings?" Rose asks.

"Ideas for how we could renovate the run-down houses in the Village."

"Why is there such a building spurt?"

"Because the war showed how half the population were very badly housed." Emma replies.

"They were shocked by how unhealthy some of the new recruits were." Robert explains. "'You cannot expect to get an A1 population out of C3 homes.'"

"Who said that?" Cora asks.

"I think it was on a poster." Robert admits. Rose and Emma share an amused smile at that.

"I heard from Charles today. He and Tony are competing in the point-to-point at Canningford on Saturday." Mary tells them.

Emma looks at Mary curiously. Tony Gillingham? Honestly, Emma is getting sick of hearing the man's name. He's one of these men who seem to not understand that when a woman says no, she means it.

"Atticus was talking about that." Rose adds.

Emma looks at her curiously. "Atticus?"

"Atticus Aldridge, the chap I met in York."

"Has he become a friend?" Cora asks.

"Yes, he has, rather." It's Mary that Emma shares an amused smile with this time. "His parents, the Sinderbys, have bought Canningford Grange."

"And now they're wooing the county." Robert remarks. "Lord Sinderby's rich, isn't he?"

"Who'd take it on if they weren't?" Mary points out.

"Well, why don't we all go, make a day of it?" Rose suggests.

"Yes, we could ask Granny and Isobel and take the children." Mary agrees. "Emma?"

Emma nods. "Why not. I'm sure Dr Clarkson will survive without me for one day. Be good to have an outing with the children."

Mary turns to her mother. "Shall I tell Charles they can stay here?"

"Of course, if you want them to."

All this time, Edith is suffering through what must sound like completely meaningless chatter to her.

"When this fellow arrives, it would be nice if you could leave Edith and me to see him on our own." Robert says.

——

The editor arrives as he said he would. Emma can't help but linger outside the Drawing room, anxiously waiting to hear that Michael Gregson is officially dead. To hear what they all expect and dread.