Chapter 26: February 1922

After Matthew's death, Mary struggled. She had refused to see the baby at first but when she eventually did, there was a disconnect between mother and child, nothing like the enamoured mother Emma had seen just after the baby, named George, had been born. In the months that have gone by, Mary has not moved out of her mourning clothes, while everyone else had moved onto colours, and remains forlorn.

Rose had moved to Downton while Shrimpie and Susan move to India during the six months after Matthew's death. Emma is sad to hear that they had to sell Duneagle as the fortune is all gone.

Emma also feels sorry for Mr Molesley, who has looking for a job since Matthew's death but has been unsuccessful.

——

"She's what?!" Emma exclaims as Gemma gathers the laundry to take downstairs. Emma is very pregnant by this point as the baby is due in the next couple of weeks and she can't wait as she feels annoyed and achy with all the extra weight she's been carrying around. Despite this, she is getting ready to go downstairs for breakfast.

"I wish I was lying but it's true." Gemma says regretfully. "All Miss O'Brien left was two letters to Mrs Hughes and Her Ladyship."

"But to run off in the middle of the night?" Emma complains. "What's Cor- Lady Grantham meant to do now?"

"Mrs Hughes will help her today and Anna and I are going to help her out after that until a new lady's maid is hired." Gemma explains.

"Won't that take time?"

"Well, what else can we do?" Gemma tells her as the two leave the room and walk along the landing.

Emma huffs. "It's just like Miss O'Brien, isn't it? Not thinking about how her actions are going to leave everyone in the lurch. Wasn't there any warning?"

Gemma thinks for a moment. "Well, apparently Miss O'Brien did say that she got on very well with Lady Flintshire when she was up in Scotland and she had a telegram yesterday. That must have been it."

"Just brilliant."

——

Emma, Billy, Robert, Edith and Tom are having breakfast with Mr Carson attending.

"Shouldn't you be lying down, Emma." Robert questions.

Emma rolls her eyes. "I'm fine, I'm not going to be running any marathons or running around."

Emma had been joining them for breakfast ever since she started her maternity leave from the Hospital. She doesn't like sitting about.

Robert grumbles slightly.

Edith walks back from serving herself at the sideboard as she laments, "Susan Flintshire has stolen Mama's maid whilst her daughter's a guest in this house?" They had all been discussing Miss O'Brien's departure.

"I'm sure she wouldn't put it like that." Billy remarks as Edith takes her seat on his left.

"I don't care how she puts it. It's absolutely disgraceful." Edith argues.

"It is pretty rude of her, I'll admit that." Emma says.

Rose comes in, looking apologetic. "It's all right. Madge told me."

"It is not all right." Robert counters.

"Did you have any idea?" Edith asks Rose.

Rose replies uncomfortably as she lingers at the edge of the table. "No. Not really. I knew... I knew that Mummy thought O'Brien was very good at doing hair, and they talked about her wanting to travel..." She moves to the sideboard to get her breakfast.