Chapter 43: November to December 1924

"I can't believe you're leaving!" Emma laments to Gemma as the two walk along the landing, both carrying luggage and a couple of lists. With Madge and Anne gone and Anna in prison, Gemma had stepped up to assist Miss Baxter.

"You too!" Gemma huffs. She had been reluctant to let Emma help her, but Emma had pointed out that as long as certain people – i.e., Mr Carson – don't spot them then what's the problem? "You're moving to a whole other country while I'm merely moving to the next county."

"Still," Emma can practically hear the pout in her own voice, "when we eventually come to visit, where will you be, huh?"

Gemma rolls her eyes but the smile on her face takes off the edge. "You'll have to come to me."

"Will Mrs whatsit approve?"

"Mrs Robins better because I am going to be the best employee she's ever had." Gemma retorts haughtily.

Emma grins. "Of course."

Gemma has now found a new job in a clothes shop in Durham and will be leaving shortly after the family returns from Northumberland on the shooting holiday they've all been invited to be the Sinderbys – they are renting Brancaster Castle for the grouse. Emma had hoped she'd stay for Christmas, but Gemma had pointed out the shop would need every hand on deck for one of the busiest times of year which Emma had to concede to.

Emma knows she's being a bit dramatic about it all, but Gemma's news is a new excuse for Emma to focus her mind and distract herself from sitting about (other than when she's at the Hospital) and worrying about Anna who's been locked up ever since her arrest after Rose and Atticus' wedding as the police built up a case (which doesn't exist but that's never stopped them before). Mr Bates understandably does not want to leave while everything was still going on nor did he not want to miss visiting his wife when he can (though Mary has gone today), which is quite frequent at the moment as Anna hasn't been found guilty of anything, so Thomas is instead taking on his role.

——

Robert, Isobel, Emma, Tom, Cora, Edith, and Violet – Billy is at work but will be joining them on the train tomorrow – are at luncheon (or "lunch", as they're all thankfully calling it now). Mr Carson, Thomas and Mr Molesley are serving.

"Did she take a cake with a file in it?" Violet quips as the discussion of Mary visiting Anna in prison is brought up.

"I don't know why you're making such a fuss, Mama." Robert reprimands. "You'd visit Denker if she were locked up."

Emma shares a doubtful look with Isobel.

"Only to check if the locks were sound." His mother retorts. And there it is. Emma would be concerned for the woman's sanity if she had said anything different.

"Bates was found innocent, no doubt Anna will be, too." Cora the voice of hope utters.

"Let's hope." Emma says, sounding slightly more pessimistic. "Those two really deserve some better luck."

"Oh, I heard from Rosamund this morning." Violet speaks then. "She says she's going to try to get to the sale of the Della Francesca."

"Oh, I'm glad we'll be well represented." Robert says, glancing at his watch which Emma has noticed he's been doing quite frequently in the last few minutes.

"Pity it clashed with your trip north, or you could have gone." Isobel says.

"Oh, I don't mind. I've said goodbye. Now if you will excuse me, I must dash off." Robert rises from his seat, which is a surprise as they haven't finished their meal yet. "I'm expected in York at three o'clock."