Chapter 33: Early August 1922

Come early August, Emma is shocked to see how time has flown. Sybbie will be turning two this month and Emma will be heading back to work as the brand new head nurse of the Hospital.

"So, what did Anna say when she saw the dress?" Emma asks.

Emma thinks this is a good opportunity to get all the details of Mary's mud-filled adventure with Charles Blake and the Downton pigs, as she, Mary, Edith and Tom walk the worn path that leads from the house to the end of the estate where the pig stye has been built. Mary hasn't really been too open about the night of the pig incident which seems to have changed Mr Blake's attitude towards her.

"Honestly, she had no words." Mary says. "I don't think I've ever seen her eyes so big in shock. I told her she needn't take the time to clean it as it was obviously ruined beyond repair."

"But a small sacrifice for the sake of the estate." Edith remarks sardonically.

"And what of Mr. Blake?" Emma asks, looking at Mary from the side of her eyes.

"What about him?" Mary asks casually, seemingly ignoring the gentle teasing in Emma's tone.

"Well, you saved the pigs and made him breakfast while all dressed in evening wear, though perhaps a bit mucky." Emma says. "That has definitely thawed him out a bit."

Mary rolls her eyes. "I'm not interested in his... temperature."

Edith and Emma giggle.

"Well, he might be more interested in yours now." Emma remarks. "It never takes them long to decide they like you, Mary. You're not so modest as to deny it."

Mary ignores her teasing. "The true hero of the night is the scullery maid who left the whisk in the sink. Otherwise, I'd never have known where to find it."

"So, you saved her too, then," Emma says, "or she'd have gotten a scolding from Mrs Patmore come morning."

"What did the pig man say after all this?" Edith asks.

"He had the decency to resign the post." Mary explains airily.

"Would you have given him the sack?" Emma asks. "If the pigs knocked over the trough, it was only an accident."

Tom, who is a step ahead of the trio of women, turns as he walks and says, "I think he saw it as a bad omen, and decided to cut his losses."

"Tom disagreed, but I'd have sacked him." Mary says. "But I appreciate his not wanting to go on after an inauspicious start."

"So, you'll have to find someone new?" Edith asks.

Tom looks over his shoulder at Mary.

"We'll see." Mary replies.

As the group nears the barn, Emma catches the stench of the animals, which makes her picture, once again, Mary neck deep in mud. She chuckles. "Never let it be said, Mary, that you are not willing to fight for Downton."

Mary smiles, then looks to Tom. "I hope Drew knows we're coming."

"Yes." Tom reassures. "I sent a note yesterday."

They walk through the barn, cute little piglets running around their feet, and approach the open pens where the adult pigs are kept.

"Have the pigs recovered, do you think?" Edith questions.

Mr Drewe, in working clothes, comes walking towards them, carrying a pail.

"They look in good shape to me, after the shock of their arrival." Mary observes.

"But why didn't he check to see they all had water before he left for the night?" Mary wonders.

"Maybe he filled the trough and thought that was enough. He wasn't to know they'd kick it over." Mr Drewe defends the poor pigman.