Chapter 34: May 1923

A/N: Thank you to everyone that has voted on chapters and added this story to their reading lists.

——

Edith, Emma and Tom walk together across the grounds at Downton. It's been all systems go here at Downton. The London Season has come around and it's been deemed time for Rose to come out to society as many upper class young girls do.

The months have moved rapidly since the bazaar. Edith had finally returned after eight months in Switzerland with Rosamund last month though to Emma she looks sadder and more tired than she was before she'd left. The children have been growing. Both George and Michael have turned one and Ivy's third birthday is coming up soon.

Emma has settled at the Hospital as head nurse. It's incredibly stressful but rewarding after her leave.

"I might go with them. I must look into Michael's office, now I'm back." Edith comments as they walk along. "You and Billy should come with Emma and I tomorrow."

"No. I have things to do." Tom dismisses.

Emma huffs, linking her arm with his. "So unfair that you don't have to go yet."

"You promised mama that you'd be there to help in the preparation of Rose's presentation." Edith reminds her. "Don't worry, Tom and Billy won't be able to get out of the ball."

Tom huffs a resigned breath. "Why wasn't Grantham House sold when Downton was in trouble?" He questions.

"It would have been, eventually, but not for nearly enough to save them." Emma says.

"So, thank God for Matthew." Tom remarks.

"Dear Matthew. I do miss him." Edith murmurs.

——

A car stands ready at the front door. Mr Stark, the chauffeur, is at the wheel. Tom and Billy are saying farewell to Edith and Emma, while on the other side of the car, Mrs Hughes and Daisy are getting in. Mrs Bute, the Crawley's London housekeeper has been taken ill and she won't be back again for weeks so they want Mrs Hughes in London to take over, and for Daisy to come with her. Ivy is staying longer to cook for Tom and Billy until they too arrive in London.

Edith gets into the back seat. Emma gives her husband a peck and Billy a hug before following in after.

"Well, good luck, then. We'll see you in London. Goodbye." Tom says and Billy echoes him.

Edith nods, looking rather uncertain while Emma rolls her eyes fondly at the situation. The car moves away. Emma glances back to see Tom, Billy and Thomas standing alone in front of the house. Oh dear, Emma hopes everything will turn out fine despite the three of them being stuck together.

——

The car containing Edith, Emma, Mrs Hughes and Daisy pulls up behind two others that are already parked in front of the Grantham House.

"Is that your Grandmother?" Emma comments to Edith as she spots said woman on the pavement talking to Mr Carson. A man, who Emma can only assume is her son Harold, stands next to her, wearing a coat with a fur collar and smoking a cigarette.

"So, it is." Edith replies.

Jimmy has arrived to hold the car door open for Edith and Emma. The two get out and walk towards the newcomers. Edith with a smile while Emma is more cautious. She knows Martha, who'd been nice to her when she'd come over for Mary and Matthew's wedding but she hardly knows anything about Harold Levinson.

"Grandmama, you're here already. Mama said you were coming later." Edith greets.

"Obviously she thought so, as did everyone else." They embrace. "Carson tells me there's no one in the house to receive me." Mr Carson's facial expression confirms how mortifying he finds this. The American grandmother turns to Emma with a smile. "Hello Emma dear. You've gone down in size since the last time I saw you."