55. Don't Win

I walked down to the gym and looked around.

Everyone was already gathered there.

"Whoa, what happened to your cheek? It's all purple."

I looked at Sebastian and sighed.

"Ezra caught me out in the park yesterday. He said I wasn't allowed to leave without permission and beat me up in training. You know. Incase I meet The Traveling Reaper."

Sebastian nodded slowly.

"Sorry Vera. Good luck next time." He said and I smiled.

"Thanks bestie."

"Okay! Now that everyone is here, why don't we break the news?" Lantern clapped his hands together once.

"What news?" Nora asked tripping Rome who fell face first.

"The Department has an annual game where all the Groups fight off against each other to see how their training is going. Everyone will participate." Chip watched Rome get to his feet and start trying, and failing, to beat Nora up.

That must be the game King was telling me about earlier.

We got to training and then had breakfast.

Once it was down time, I made my way into the garden for some fresh air.

"Hey!"

I looked around confused.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Zammy! Come here!"

I looked into the bushes and was surprised to see King poking his face out of them.

"What are you doing here!?" I hissed and looked around for anyone that might spot us.

"Did Albert tell you?"

"About the games? Yeah. He did. How come I never heard about it if it's been going on for years?"

"The Department and Academy keep it a secret from the public."

I sat next to him and looked at him confused.

"The Academy?"

"Yeah. Both my aunt and dad will be there with a few higher ups like Python and Asset from the Academy."

"Will I meet them?" I asked.

"Hell no. No one is gonna know that the three of them are there."

"What are Grace, Asset and Python like?" I asks and he went quiet.

"You need to be careful, Vera. The games are brutal. It's all fun and games to the higher ups. While you guys hurt each other, they're up there laughing their asses off. You need to win. No. No you don't. If you have to play chicken, do that. The rules are loose. You can be beat to an inch of your life. As long as you don't kill anyone, it's fine."

"You think I can't with?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"No one ever beats the final player. Don't win, Vera. Don't try to. No one ever wins."

"Thanks for the boost of confidence." I rolled my eyes.

"No, Vera. No one wins. It's just a game of bloodshed. That's all it is. Don't try to win. Promise me."

I stared at him.

There was no smile anywhere to be seen. He was serious.

"If I don't try, it'll seem like I'm lazy."

"Play the game. Just don't win."

"Who's the final player?" I asked and he glanced to the side before disappearing.

"What are you doing out here?" Rome asked.

"Taking a breath of fresh air. Bagger beat me up yesterday." I rubbed my cheek.

"Idiot."

"Says the one that is always getting beat up by Nora." I rolled my eyes and stood up.

"Maybe I can't beat her but I can beat you!"

I put up a wall of smoke as he tried to punch me.

"OW! What the fuck!?" He asked and I looked around the wall and at him.

He was rubbing his wrist.

I walked around, kicked his feet out from under him and walked away.

"Calm down, Rome. Save your energy for the games."