31. Look!

"Hey, wait up!" Jul ran after me.

"Leave me alone. I don't wanna talk to you."

"What, why?"

"We're literally working for opposite organizations. You're working for people who made mom go missing!" I snapped as I entered our bedroom.

"So are you! And I only joined to bring it down! To bring them BOTH down! King, German and some others are helping us! Now you need to help!"

"I'm not falling for this bs! I'm not helping King bring down The Department just to The Academy can prevail!"

"Don't you see!? If we take down The Academy first, there's no reason for The Department to exist! They'll be easier to dismantle!"

"That's true." King walked in and sat on my bed.

I glared at him.

"Why are you going against your dad and aunt?" I asked.

"Like I said. They've gone to far. Giving ability to poor kids who can't afford a lawyer or anything to use as lab rats. Soon, after they watch you guys for a while to make sure it's safe to use on the rich kids, they won't care so much about you guys."

"So you're saying they only used us as guinea pigs?"

"Yup. You'd think Sebastian's dad being a French politician, he'd be safe but after he got disowned for being gay, The Department took him in."

"His dad's a what?"

"He didn't tell you? My bad..."

"But you're literally, supposedly, The Department's founders son. Why do you and so many others have abilities?"

He shrugged.

"This doesn't make sense."

"Nothing makes sense, Vera." Julie said.

"By the way, what kinda name is The Traveling Reaper?"

"Well, my suit is a reaper inspired outfit with the long hooded coat and scythe being my weapon of choice. Reaper. Then I can travel around using my teleportation so, traveling. The Traveling Reaper."

"That's a stupid ass name and I want you to know that."

He smiled at me.

"Wanna rename me then?"

"Wouldn't Phantom or Ghost be better?" I asked.

"Eh, to basic. And it's not flashy enough."

I threw a plushy at him from Julia's bed and he caught it easily.

His longish hair was pinned back by a pink princess hair clip from when I was five. His different colored eyes sparkled happily.

He wore blue jeans and a black shirt with a video game character on it.

He grinned some more.

"Did you know my cousin has a crush on you?"

I blinked.

"What?"

"Mhm. I've been watching you two. He's definitely into you. But so am I."

"Ohh." Julie covered her mouth and glanced at me.

I felt my face go red.

"What?"

"Yeah. You're smart, funny, cute, caring. I like you."

"Ohhh!" Julie giggled.

"Yeah, no. I'm not falling for that." I laughed.

"You're smart not to believe me. But I'm being honest."

"No one is just outright with someone about liking them." I huffed.

"Plenty of people do that." King said and Jul nodded.

"He's right. A lot of people are honest about liking someone." Julie said.

"It's called wanting a relationship." King added.

"Ha! Yeah right! There's no way we'll ever be a thing." I laughed.

"You never know!" He smiled.

"I think I know, thank you."

Julie giggled.

"Want to hear why you should choose me over Ezra?" He asked. "I made a slideshow. It's 150 slides long." He said taking out his laptop.

"What!?" I laughed.

"There's 10 bullet points per slide. And pictures too!" He said clicking a few buttons and then turning it to show Julia and I.

"Whoa, you weren't kidding!" My sister gasped.