5. House

I looked out the window of the car as we drove on.

Lantern and Chip were talking in the front seats.

Well, Lantern was talking, Chip was just listening and making small comments like, "... and you thought that was a good idea because...?"

"Okay, we're here!"

I looked over at Lantern as he pulled into a drive way.

"This... this is a house?" I hopped out of the car and looked around.

there were 12 other cars in the large driveway.

"Oh yeah. It's a house, it's a big house! Now coke on, kiddo! It's time to meet the others."

"The others? Should I get my bags?"

"You can come back fro them, now come on!" Lantern ushered me.

I fixed my sweats and hoodie as I walked towards the door.

When I opens it, I heard talking, arguing, laughing and shouts.

I was confused.

I expect to meet important Department people.

I poked my head into the living room and found 11 kids my age and 2 adults per kid.

Well, we're not kids exactly but... whatever.

"Hm, another one? God damn, how many more people are gonna get here!?"

"Rome, Watch yourself." A man said and I looked back at Chip and Lantern confused.

"These will be your team mates. The people you see behind them are the people that brought them here an are in charge of them. Chip and I are your handlers!"

"My.... Handlers? Like an animal?"

"Oh please, handlers are for much more than just animals!"

"If you say so."

I turned back around and jumped when I saw someone standing in front of me.

"Hi! I'm Luna! It's nice to meet you! Don't mind Rome, not all of us were raised with manners." She glanced at the green haired boy who jumped to his feet.

"What did you say!?"

"Rome, sit down!" His other handlers snapped.

I glanced down at Luna's hand which she was holding out to shake.

I shook her hand and she smiled.

She bad black hair, green eyes, and pale skin with freckles.

Rome had green hair with blond roots peeking out. His eyes were blue.

"What are you looking at!?" He tried to jump back up when he saw me look him up and down but his male handler held him down by the shoulders.

I looked over at a tall guy sitting alone on a beanbag. He had dark brown hair, red eyes and dark skin.

He glanced up at me then looked away quickly.

"Vera, why don't you have a seat next to Sebastian?"

His name is Sebastian, huh?

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat as I walked over and sat on the spare bean bag.

"Why don't we all start by introducing ourselves? Shall we?" Lantern asked with a big smile.

We all glanced around then back at Lantern.

"Oh, don't be shy! I'll go first! My name is Albert Colby Rivers! I'm 32, my birthday is October 15, 1991. My code name is Lantern, I'm American, but my family immigrated from UK and Sweden 200 years ago and we've lived all over the states since then. I'm ranked 37 in the entire Department! Vera, you go next!"

"Do I hav to say my middle name?" I tried not to turn red.

"Not if you don't want to. Whatever you're comfortable with." Chip said.

I nodded and glanced around.

"My name is Vera Zamora. My parents came from Mexico and my birthday is November 6, 2003. I'm 20 years old. I'm not yet ranked in The Department."

"Good, good! Who wants to go next?"

"I'll go! My name is Luna, I'm 26, my dad is from Spain and my mom is white. My dad LOVED the moon so he named me after it! My mom cleans houses and works at a restaurant while my dad is a school janitor. I'm so proud of them! I hope I can pay them back when I become a rescuer!"

She's poor too, huh? Interesting.